Avengers #22 or Fantastic Four Annual #3

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Avengers #22 or Fantastic Four Annual #3

Post by Jason Doty »

working on a little project and just found a discrepancy between Iron Man and Thor, which is first Fantastic Four Annual #3 or Avengers #22?
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Avengers #22 or Fantastic Four Annual #3

Post by StrayLamb »

In A 22, Iron Man is depicted in a single panel from his current battle with an android in TOS 72, while Thor is depicted in a single panel, which is a flashback, showing him returning to Asgard in JIM 122. So Thor's appearance is before FF@ 3, and Iron Man's appearance is after FF@ 3.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

If it's a flashback (and are we talking intended flashback or "reinterpreted" flashback?), it should be A 22-FB.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

It's clearly intended to be taking place at the same time as the rest of the issue- according to the narrator,it's why Thor can't show up for the main plot. Olshevsky decided it was a flashback in the Avengers Index 1.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Somebody wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 pm If it's a flashback (and are we talking intended flashback or "reinterpreted" flashback?), it should be A 22-FB.
It's a flashback in so far as when reading A22, the scene has already occurred previously in time. It's not a flashback for Thor, who experiences the panel at a specific point in his own timeline.

Michael wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:14 pm It's clearly intended to be taking place at the same time as the rest of the issue- according to the narrator,it's why Thor can't show up for the main plot. Olshevsky decided it was a flashback in the Avengers Index 1.
It has to be a flashback panel, as Thor has already taken off for Asgard in JIM 122, as shown in his chronology, and can't be anywhere else after FF@ 3 except in JIM 124 though T 140, which is during the time that A 22 occurs.. So for Thor, his appearance in A 22 must be prior to FF@ 3, although all of the other characters appear in A 22 after FF@ 3..

JIM 122 (1 - 2)
A 22
JIM 122 (3 - 16)
JIM 123
FF@ 3 (1 - 12:3)

Although the caption reads "Thor is returning to Asgard..", the only way it fits is for the caption to be reinterpreted as "Thor has returned to Asgard.."

Iron Man's caption reads "Iron Man has his hands full battling a giant android right now.."
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

StrayLamb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 am It's a flashback in so far as when reading A22, the scene has already occurred previously in time.
That sounds like a flashback (drop the part about "in so far as when reading").
It's not a flashback for Thor, who experiences the panel at a specific point in his own timeline.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "flashback for Thor," but if it's a flashback, and Thor appears in it, then it's a flashback for Thor. If you're contending that it's a flashback, but shouldn't be listed as flashback in Thor's chronology, I disagree.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Russ Chappell wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:43 am
StrayLamb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 amIt's not a flashback for Thor, who experiences the panel at a specific point in his own timeline.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "flashback for Thor," but if it's a flashback, and Thor appears in it, then it's a flashback for Thor. If you're contending that it's a flashback, but shouldn't be listed as flashback in Thor's chronology, I disagree.
I'm making no such contention, merely attempting to explain, in my own faltering way, how it is that Thor appears in A22 prior to FF@ 3, while the other characters appear in A 22 after FF@ 3. The topic has evolved from a simple question of character placement to a discussion on what constitutes a flashback.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

StrayLamb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 pm The topic has evolved from a simple question of character placement to a discussion on what constitutes a flashback.
I understand that, and I'm simply chiming in with my opinion that this constitutes a flashback.

And when you say above that it's not a flashback for Thor, I'm saying that I disagree; I think it is a flashback for Thor.

Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Count me in the "not a flashback" camp. It's not a flashback- Thor doesn't interact with any of the other characters in this issue. And it's not intended to be taking place in the past. It's a separate plot thread that later chronological analysis determined was taking place in the past. When we place issues, we often assume that different threads are taking place at different times without labeling them flashbacks.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Michael wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:52 pmIt's not a flashback- Thor doesn't interact with any of the other characters in this issue.
Non sequitur. Thor's lack of interaction with other characters has no bearing on whether or not it's a flashback.
And it's not intended to be taking place in the past.
Agreed.
It's a separate plot thread that later chronological analysis determined was taking place in the past.
Agreed.

I think everyone here agrees that it was not intended to take place in the past. I also think that everyone agrees that subsequent chronological analysis forces us to re-examine events and subsequently place this panel in the past.

I can only point to the Key for our definition of a Flashback:
Flashback: a scene which takes place out of chronological order, within the confines of a particular story.
I'm just saying, it sounds like a flashback to me.

Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Russ Chappell wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 pm
Michael wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:52 pmIt's not a flashback- Thor doesn't interact with any of the other characters in this issue.
Non sequitur. Thor's lack of interaction with other characters has no bearing on whether or not it's a flashback.
What I meant was this- if Thor interacted with Hawkeye on page 2 and then appeared on page 15 in a scene that took place before he met Hawkeye on page 2, I think we'd all agree that page 15 was a flashback. A COMPLETELY separate plot thread complicates matters. But I'll concede that this arguably meets the definition in the Key of a flashback.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Russ Chappell wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 pmI think everyone here agrees that it was not intended to take place in the past. I also think that everyone agrees that subsequent chronological analysis forces us to re-examine events and subsequently place this panel in the past.
So, wait, why was it "forced" to be placed in the past, again?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I haven't yet looked at it myself, but:
StrayLamb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 am It has to be a flashback panel, as Thor has already taken off for Asgard in JIM 122, as shown in his chronology, and can't be anywhere else after FF@ 3 except in JIM 124 though T 140, which is during the time that A 22 occurs.. So for Thor, his appearance in A 22 must be prior to FF@ 3, although all of the other characters appear in A 22 after FF@ 3..

JIM 122 (1 - 2)
A 22
JIM 122 (3 - 16)
JIM 123
FF@ 3 (1 - 12:3)

Although the caption reads "Thor is returning to Asgard..", the only way it fits is for the caption to be reinterpreted as "Thor has returned to Asgard.."

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

In Thor: Official Index to the Marvel Universe, in the listing for JIM 122, it states Thor is "also in Av #22, '65 fb," so the appearance is listed as a Flashback there. I believe it was first postulated by George Olshevski.