When did Mimic pick up Wolverine's healing factor?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

When did Mimic pick up Wolverine's healing factor?

Post by Leoparis »

The serial in M/CP 64-71 revived the Mimic, explaining he picked up Wolverine's healing power right after he supposedly died in IH2 161. However, the character profile written by the handbook team explains Mimic fell into a coma between IH2 161 and 181. But there's no coma involved in the flashback in M/CP 59:
"I tried to kill myself. And it nearly worked--you all left me for dead! Then another factor entered the picture. I began to heal myself. I was draining the powers of a source that renewed my very life." A picture shows the silhouette of Wolverine. Then a later picture shows Wolverine watching the Hulk departing with a jump above the trees.

The narrative here is that this all happened after IH2 161 and that Wolverine arrived on the scene too late to catch the Hulk. So I re-read IH2 161 to see if this narrative stands to the earlier facts and it does. In the first pages the Hulk meets the Mounted Police, they give the alert and the area is cordoned. When Ross wants to pursue Hulk in Canada, he's denied, "The Canadians want to study the problem. Perhaps they'll have their own troops go after him." In the next issue an official states, "We've been under pressure to let the Royal Canadian Air Force handle this." We were never informed of what the Canadian Air Force intended. In IH2 180 the Canadian Royal Air Force is the unit dispatching Weapon X. So I'm fairly certain this is indeed what Michael Higgins, writer of M/CP 59, intended. And the note from the M/CP editor that "these events took place shortly before Hulk #181" was mistaken. (Or he actually meant to refer to IH2 161 because from the standpoint of 1990, the 1973 story is "shortly before" the 1974 story.)

Wolverine listing with notes
AF SPEC ca 1967, after X 23, Aug 66
M/CP 51-FB dated "1974", Cockrum costume
AF 127/2-FB Wild Child, Cockrum costume
W2 9 (6 - 7)-FB-FB
W2 9-FB costume, no mask
M/GN:W/NF-FB
UX 228-FB-FB Cockrum costume
AF 9/2 recruits Aurora
W2 144-FB first in Trimpe costume, vs Leader
FCBD09:W (22) Hulk alert, Trimpe costume
W:O 28 (8 - 9&10)-FB --> (8)
M/CP 59-FB reviving Mimic
X 139-FB Trimpe costume, watching Hulk vs Wendigo behind a tree
{IH2 180} Oct 74 Trimpe costume

I've looked at the costumes (Trimpe 1974 costume from IH2 180 and Cockrum 1975 costume from GSX 1). There are discrepancies I will address in a future post.

The Cockrum costume in M/CP 59-FB is Mimic's imagination (he did not see Wolverine, just felt his presence) so I'm not concerned that it doesn't match IH2 181, his memory would naturally imagine the costume he wore with the X-Men. Taken at face value the costume not matching IH2 180-182 would be added fuel to the argument that M/CP 59-FB does not refer to his known appearance in IH2 181. (This also makes me wonder if the MCP editor did not miscorrect a reference to IH2 161.)

The Wolverine index makes no mention of this MCP 59-FB, so I wonder if the index writers were in disagreement. In any case, this correction does not contradict the index.

The IH2 161, Mar 1973 event goes between AF SPEC, circa 1966-67 and MCP 51-FB "1974".

Suggested correction:
Wolverine
AF SPEC
**M/CP 59-FB MOVE HERE
M/CP 51-FB
AF 127/2-FB
W2 9 (6 - 7)-FB-FB
W2 9-FB
M/GN:W/NF-FB
UX 228-FB-FB
AF 9/2
W2 144-FB