Hercules Birth to Godhood

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

gothamkid
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Hercules Birth to Godhood

Post by gothamkid »

I'd like to propose a change in Hercules' chronology leading from his birth to his first appearance in Journey into Mystery Annual #1. The issues are correct, but most just list a Flashback and multiple flashbacks occur in the same issue with a Flashback in a later issue flashing back to a time before the flashback in the prior issue, etc. Also, while the authors followed the dates given in the issues, the dates don't line up with how the myths typically flow. To quote Hercules himself from Incredible Hercules 3115, "...This is a myths. Myths aren't a collection of dates and biographies...They're stories that only have meaning you give to them."

HERCULES/HERACLES/ALCEAUS
----->
Incredible Hercules 126-FB
Incredible Hercules 126
Thing v.2 7-FB
Thing v.2 7
Marvel Preview 10/2
Hercules: Heart of Chaos 2 (4-6:1)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (1 - 4)-FB
Thor 356 (6:5)-FB
Incredible Hercules 115 (18:1-2, 19:1-2)-FB
Incredible Hulk v.3 112 (5,7:1)-FB
Marvel Saga 1
Thor 356 (6:3)-FB
Incredible Hercules 113 [8-9]-FB
Incredible Hulk v.3 112 [10-12]-FB
Thor 356 (6:4)-FB
Avengers 39 (3:6)-FB
Incredible Hercules 122 (8-10)-FB
Incredible Hercules 121 (6 - 7:2)-FB
Thor 356 (6:6)-FB
Incredible Hercules 121 (7:3 - 7:6)-FB
Hulk v.2 49 (2-3)-FB
Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide (3&4:4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 130 (15:3-17)-FB
Incredible Hercules 116 (4:3 - 6:3)-FB
Dark Avengers: Ares 2 (11:4-6) -FB
Incredible Hercules 116 (6:4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 114 (8:4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 114 (1-4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 114 (9:1)-FB
Avengers 265 (12:3-5)-FB
Incredible Hercules 119 (11:1-3)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (11 - 14)-FB
Incredible Hercules 113 (10-11)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (24 - 25)-FB
Incredible Hercules 113 (16)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (32 - 34)-FB
Incredible Hercules 129 (4:2-5:3)-FB
Hercules: Heart of Chaos 1 (3-4:2)-FB
Unlimited Access 2 (11-12)
{Journey into Mystery Annual 1}
<-----

Young Hercules
In Incredible Hercules #126, we have tales of baby Hercules then cut to his exile and fight with the Minyans. Thing Vol.2 #7, doesn't have a specific date or story reference, but his beard isn't yet full. Since he grows it in Incredible Hercules #126 and this Hercules seems not to have the wisdom and pain that comes from his later tragedies, I place it here. From this point, I use the typical order of events from the Hercules myths to guide us.

Jason and the Argonauts
Marvel Preview #10 has a version of Jason and the Argonauts which happens before the death of his first family and the Twelve Labors. Hercules: Heart of Chaos #2 has Jason and the Argonauts (with Hercules) finding the fleece and Hercules: Heart of Chaos #2 is an encounter with a water elemental on the way back.

The Twelve Labors
We then cover the death of his family and the Twelve Labors which I arranged in order with one exception. Incredible Hercules #115 states that the king of Thebes had ordered Hercules' family put to death, because he assumed Hercules was dead being in Hades so long kidnapping Cerebus and freeing Theseus which means the Twelfth Labor caused the events which led to his family's deaths which led to him having to do the 12 Labors. Amadeus points out this doesn't make sense, which is when Hercules gives the quote above. Since Hercules was so adamant that events occurred that way, I've structured it like that here.

The first flashback from Thor 356 is a mention of the Twelfth labor, so I put it first, followed by Incredible Hercules #115 and Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 #112 which both cover the death of his first family. Marvel Saga #1 is a picture of Hercules performing Labor #1, the Nemean Lion. The second flashback from Thor #356 and Incredible Hulk #113 cover the second labor, the Hydra. The second flashback from Incredible Hulk #112 is the 5th labor, the man-eating birds. The third Thor 356 flashback shows Labor #7, the Cretan Bull. Avengers #39 is the eighth labor, the man-eating horses. Incredible Hercules #122 is the ninth labor, the theft of Hippolyta's girdle. Finally, Incredible Hercules #121 and the last flashback from Thor #356 show the 11th and final(?) Labor of taking the golden apples.

Later Myths

Hulk Vol. 2 #49 also shows Hercules fighting a Hyrda, but Phostos and Ikaris state that it is not the original Hydra, so I've placed it here. Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide and Incredible Hulk #130 or flashback to Hercules defeating the Giant revolt and slaying them. I couldn't find a reference to this in the classic myths, so I think it is a Marvel invention. Hercules mentions that it is the first time he saw Zeus, so I place it here before the myths leading to his ascension to Godhood. Incredible Hercules #116 and Dark Avengers: Ares #2 both tell the slaying of Kyknos, res' son, from differing viewpoints. The flashbacks in Incredible Hercules #114 is his sacking of Troy to get the magic horses he was promised. Avengers #265 is his fighting Antaeus.

Death and Ascension
Incredible Hulk #119's flashback covers his wooing his 3rd wife which puts him on the path of his death. The second flashback of Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed tells the death of Jason and foreshadows what's coming for Hercules. The third flashback from Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed and the second flashback from Incredible Hercules #113 both tell the tale of her kidnapping by a centaur, Hercules, slaying the centaur, and the centaur tricking her. The final flashback from Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed shows his wife giving him the poisoned robe, him setting himself alight, and his ascension by Zeus. The final flashback from Incredible Hercules #113 summarizes the same events and also tells about his marriage to Hebes.

Early Godhood
Hercules: Heart of Chaos #1 flashback to a random early fight between Ares and Hercules. This clearly looks to be the god Hercules. This and Unlimited Access #2 were both already placed her in the chronology, I'm just specifying the page and panels, since especially in Unlimited Access #2, Hercules is seen in a single panel and doesn't play a role in the story. This leads us into Journey into Mystery Annual #1, and I think the order is detailed enough from this point down as-is.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Hercules Birth to Godhood

Post by StrayLamb »

Nicely thought out there, gothamkid. :thumbsup:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

gothamkid wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:50 pm I'd like to propose a change in Hercules' chronology leading from his birth to his first appearance in Journey into Mystery Annual #1. The issues are correct, but most just list a flashback and multiple flashbacks occur in the same issue with a flashback in a later issue flashing back to a time before the flashback in the prior issue, etc. Also, while the index authors followed the dates given in the issues, the dates don't line up with how the myths typically flow. To quote Hercules himself from Incredible Hercules #115, "...This is a myth I'm telling you. Myths aren't some collection of dates and biographies... Myths are stories that only have the meaning you give to them."

HERCULES/HERACLES/ALCEAUS
----->
Incredible Hercules 126-FB
Incredible Hercules 126
Thing Vol. 2 7-FB
Thing Vol. 2 7
Marvel Preview 10/2
Hercules: Heart of Chaos 2 (4 - 6:1)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (1 - 4)-FB
Thor 356 (6:5)-FB
Incredible Hercules 115 (18:1-2, 19:1-2)-FB
Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 112 (5, 7:1)-FB
Marvel Saga 1
Thor 356 (6:3)-FB
Incredible Hercules 113 [8 - 9]-FB
Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 112 [10 - 12]-FB
Thor 356 (6:4)-FB
Avengers 39 (3:6)-FB
Incredible Hercules 122 (8 - 10)-FB
Incredible Hercules 121 (6 - 7:2)-FB
Thor 356 (6:6)-FB
Incredible Hercules 121 (7:3 - 7:6)-FB
Hulk Vol. 2 49 (2-3)-FB
Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide (3&4:4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 130 (15:3 - 17)-FB
Incredible Hercules 116 (4:3 - 6:3)-FB
Dark Avengers: Ares 2 (11:4-6) -FB
Incredible Hercules 116 (6:4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 114 (8:4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 114 (1-4)-FB
Incredible Hercules 114 (9:1)-FB
Avengers 265 (12:3-5)-FB
Incredible Hercules 119 (11:1-3)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (11 - 14)-FB
Incredible Hercules 113 (10 - 11)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (24 - 25)-FB
Incredible Hercules 113 (16)-FB
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed (32 - 34)-FB
Incredible Hercules 129 (4:2 - 5:3)-FB
Hercules: Heart of Chaos 1 (3 - 4:2)-FB
Unlimited Access 2 (11 - 12)
<-----

Young Hercules
In Incredible Hercules #126, we have tales of baby Hercules then cut to his exile and fight with the Minyans. The Thing Vol. 2 #7, doesn't have a specific date or story reference, but his beard isn't yet full. Since he grows it in Incredible Hercules #126 and this Hercules seems not to have the wisdom and pain that comes from his later tragedies, I place it here. From this point, I use the typical order of events from the Hercules myths to guide us.

Jason and the Argonauts
Marvel Preview #10 has a version of Jason and the Argonauts which happens before the death of his first family and the twelve labors. Hercules: Heart of Chaos #2 has Jason and the Argonauts (with Hercules) finding the Golden Fleece and Hercules: Heart of Chaos #2 is an encounter with a water elemental on the way back.

The Twelve Labors
We then cover the death of his family and the twelve labors which I arranged in order with one exception. Incredible Hercules #115 states that the king of Thebes had ordered Hercules' family put to death, because he assumed Hercules was dead being in Hades for so long fighting Cerberus and freeing Theseus, which means the twelfth labor caused the events leading to his family's deaths, which led to him having to do the twelve labors. Amadeus points out this doesn't make sense, which is when Hercules gives the quote above. Since Hercules was so adamant that events occurred that way, I've structured it like that here.

The first flashback from Thor #356 is a mention of the twelfth labor, so I put it first, followed by Incredible Hercules #115 and Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 #112 which both cover the death of his first family. Marvel Saga #1 is a picture of Hercules performing labor #1, the Nemean Lion. The second flashback from Thor #356 and Incredible Hulk #113 cover the second labor, the Hydra. The second flashback from Incredible Hulk #112 is the fifth labor, the man-eating birds. The third Thor #356 flashback shows labor #7, the Cretan Bull. Avengers #39 is the eighth labor, the man-eating horses. Incredible Hercules #122 is the ninth labor, the theft of Hippolyta's girdle. Finally, Incredible Hercules #121 and the last flashback from Thor #356 show the eleventh and final(?) labor of taking the golden apples.

Later Myths

Hulk Vol. 2 #49 also shows Hercules fighting a Hydra, but Phastos and Ikaris state that it is not the original Hydra, so I've placed it here. Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide and Incredible Hercules #130 or flashback to Hercules defeating the Giants' revolt and slaying them. I couldn't find a reference to this in the classic myths, so I think it is a Marvel invention. Hercules mentions that it is the first time he saw Zeus, so I place it here before the myths leading to his ascension to godhood. Incredible Hercules #116 and Dark Avengers: Ares #2 both tell the slaying of Kyknos, Ares' son, from differing viewpoints. The flashbacks in Incredible Hercules #114 is his sacking of Troy to get the magic horses he was promised. Avengers #265 is his fighting Antaeus.

Death and Ascension
Incredible Hulk #119's flashback covers his wooing his third wife which puts him on the path to his death. The second flashback of Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed tells the death of Jason and foreshadows what's coming for Hercules. The third flashback from Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed and the second flashback from Incredible Hercules #113 both tell the tale of her kidnapping by a centaur, Hercules slaying the centaur, and the centaur tricking her. The final flashback from Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed shows his wife giving him the poisoned robe, setting himself alight, and his ascension by Zeus. The final flashback from Incredible Hercules #113 summarizes the same events and also tells about his marriage to Hebe.

Early Godhood
Hercules: Heart of Chaos #1 flashback to a random early fight between Ares and Hercules. This clearly looks to be the god Hercules. This and Unlimited Access #2 were both already placed here in the chronology, I'm just specifying the page and panels, since especially in Unlimited Access #2, Hercules is seen in a single panel and doesn't play a role in the story. This leads us into Journey into Mystery Annual #1, and I think the order is detailed enough from this point down as-is.
Great job!!

I saw no mention of the word "revolt" in the comics listed. The fight versus the Giants most probably refers to the Gigantomachia, as told by Pindar and Apollodorus and later, Ovid. Per the myth a human (Hercules) would help the gods vanquish the Giants. Incredible Hercules 130 refers to the Titanomachia, while Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide mentions both. Later storytellers tend to confuse Titans and Giants, cf. Giants (Greek mythology) in Wikipedia.

It is possible that other monsters fought alongside Giants. That's what the editor's note in Incredible Hercules 130 about Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide leads to but that note could be wrong in assuming Hercules sending Cronus back to Tartarus is related to the fight vs the Giants. Or the note was only supposed to refer to the Titanomachy and did not infer that Cronus took part in the Gigantomachy.

I do not know at what point of Hercules' life the Gigantomachy is supposed to take place but now that you know what myth the flashback refers to, you can find a placement. And then you have to decide if the fight vs Cronus is part of the Gigantomachy or a different event.
gothamkid
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by gothamkid »

Thank you! I'm coming back to some of my reading/indexing after a hiatus. I appreciate the feedback and will look into the giants vs. titans and when those battles occur in classic myth related to others.