Uatu in M/S-H 23/2 (and other AAFSY-related things)

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Uatu in M/S-H 23/2 (and other AAFSY-related things)

Post by Clive_Reston »

The second story in Marvel Super-Heroes #23 is a "Tales of the Watcher" short that was originally intended for Silver Surfer #8. (It's another adaptation of an Amazing Adult Fantasy story--this one "Melvin and the Martian," from #12--but Uatu's in the first panel, so it should probably go in his timeline between SS 7/2 and FFWGCM 6.) Amusingly, it was apparently drawn to be ten pages long, and then had four pages cut from it for its M/S-H publication, and... you can't really tell the difference?

This reminds me: we've got Tim Boo Ba listed as appearing in AAFSY 9 and SS 4/2, but the latter is literally just a redrawn version of the former (with Uatu introducing it)! Not that I object.

Also, the sixth story in the recent Amazing Fantasy #1000 is a sequel to AFSY 15/3--yes, "Man in the Mummy Case"! So I suspect we're eventually going to want an entry for Rocco Rank, covering both stories. (For Peter Parker, as well as Betty and Flash and Liz, it needs to be sometime after UTSM:SE, because Peter namedrops Doctor Strange. But not TOO much longer, because he notes that "it wasn't so long ago I was on TV! And I was a hit, to boot!" There may be a more specific placement cue that I've missed.)
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

AFSY-related things

Post by Leoparis »

Clive_Reston wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:32 pm Also, the sixth story in the recent Amazing Fantasy #1000 is a sequel to AFSY 15/3--yes, "Man in the Mummy Case"! So I suspect we're eventually going to want an entry for Rocco Rank, covering both stories. (For Peter Parker, as well as Betty and Flash and Liz, it needs to be sometime after UTSM:SE, because Peter namedrops Doctor Strange. But not TOO much longer, because he notes that "it wasn't so long ago I was on TV! And I was a hit, to boot!" There may be a more specific placement cue that I've missed.)
The mention is, "This ought to keep this thing closed and tight, at least for now--until it can be turned over to someone like Dr. Strange or someone like that."

I don't think Spidey needs to have met Dr. Strange in person to make this comment. It is entirely possible that Peter could mention Dr. Strange from his appearance on the TV show in Strange Tales 120, May 1964.

In WOSM2 4, you've got Dr. Strange on the cover of the Daily Bugle (probably from footage taken in ST 120/2, what else?). If so, Dr. Strange's story in ST 120, May '64 takes place before ASM 9, Feb '64 (chronologists, take note!). Peter can know about Dr. Strange either from the Daily Bugle cover or from the TV show. Given we want it as early as possible we can have it between ASM 8 & 9. (He doesn't wear his glasses in AFSY 1000/6, the glasses get broken in ASM 8.)

ST 120 (Dr. Strange on TV) > WOSM2 4 (Daily Bugle cover from the TV show, Mysterio, Dr. Strange) > AFSY 1000/6 (Spidey namedrops Dr. Strange) > ASM 9 (Mysterio vs Spider-Man)

I strongly doubt the Asian-looking Betty with Flash and Liz is Betty Brant. Betty Brant did not hang out with Peter's schoolfriends at that time.

DOCTOR STRANGE
ST 111/3
WOSM2 4 move from here
ST 114/2
ST 120/2
WOSM2 4 move here
ST 121/2 (1 - 2:3)

OSBORN, LIZ ALLAN
UTSM 4
AFSY 1000 /6
ASM 9

PARKER, MAY REILLY
UTSM 4
AFSY 1000 /6
ASM 9

RANK, ROCCO
AFSY 15/3
AFSY 1000/6

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER
WOSM 129.1 (16:2 - 17:2)-FB
AFSY 1000 /6
ASM 9

THOMPSON, CPL. EUGENE "FLASH"
UTSM 4
AFSY 1000 /6
ASM 9

PS: I've been thinking it might occur even earlier. I was originally influenced by the contention that the reference to Dr. Strange meant it had to take place after they met. However
- the mention that he was a TV star not so long ago (AFSY 15),
- the fact he doesn't mention the Avengers nor the X-Men among those who could stop an invasion,
- the mention that the Bugle hates him now (ASM 1),
- that he is pretty new,
lead me to think this could happen even before these teams come on the scene.
At least after TOS 40 (Iron Man repels an alien invasion) and possibly after the underworld invasion TOS 43 (Kala, Queen of the Underworld).

Hulk, Thor & FF all had repelled an invasion before. The Avengers repel the Lava Men in A 5.

The glasses status appraisal is not so evident. The Parker figure is sketchy and he could already have taken away his glasses in order to change into Spider-Man.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: AFSY-related things

Post by StrayLamb »

Leoparis wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:06 pmPS: I've been thinking it might occur even earlier. I was originally influenced by the contention that the reference to Dr. Strange meant it had to take place after they met. However
- the mention that he was a TV star not so long ago (AFSY 15),
- the fact he doesn't mention the Avengers nor the X-Men among those who could stop an invasion,
- the mention that the Bugle hates him now (ASM 1),
- that he is pretty new,
lead me to think this could happen even before these teams come on the scene.
At least after TOS 40 (Iron Man repels an alien invasion) and possibly after the underworld invasion TOS 43 (Kala, Queen of the Underworld).

Hulk, Thor & FF all had repelled an invasion before. The Avengers repel the Lava Men in A 5.

The glasses status appraisal is not so evident. The Parker figure is sketchy and he could already have taken away his glasses in order to change into Spider-Man.
I agree. Spider-Man already appears to be familiar with Dr Strange by the time he meets him in ASM@ 2. In fact, Spidey and Strange may have already met prior to this. Strange refers to his as "the one called Spider-Man," but that's just the way he spoke back then. The police ask for Strange's help as early as ST 116/2, and as early as ST 110, Strange is already an urban legend, and it's not hard for someone to find him, so Strange is already known on the streets as a practitioner of magic right from his first appearance.

I would actually place AFSY 1000/6 during ASM 6, between (5:5 & 5:6). Peter, Flash and Liz are already at the museum, and we don't have to wonder why Peter's hanging out with them.

I would also revise my earlier placement for AFSY 1000/4. This seems to be better placed immediately after UTSM 3, when Peter and Betty have their first date. It ends with Peter asking Betty out again that evening. This would early September, so late summer.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Uatu in M/S-H 23/2 (and other AAFSY-related things)

Post by Leoparis »

You've got compelling arguments from close reading as always.

Finding a sequence where they're already together at the museum for AFSY 1000/6 is so enticing. Some objections might be that an egyptology section does not belong in a natural history museum and that the clothes are entirely different.

The placement between 5:5 and 5:6 leaves it open whether it's in the same museum at the same time or not, so that works any way.

If you want to push AFSY 1000/4 after UTSM 3 in September, when school has started, what about after ASM 8 when his glasses get broken? UTSM 4, which is after ASM 8, is supposed to be only one week after UTSM 3.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Leoparis wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:30 amIf you want to push AFSY 1000/4 after UTSM 3 in September, when school has started, what about after ASM 8 when his glasses get broken? UTSM 4, which is after ASM 8, is supposed to be only one week after UTSM 3.
Works for me. :thumbsup:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Just one more quick note on AFSY 1000/4, if we're placing it after ASM 8 for Peter's glasses, then it should also go after UTSM 4, where he explains to Aunt May what happened to his them, and that he doesn't need them any more. This should probably not be separated from ASM 8 if possible.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

AFSY 1000/4

Post by Leoparis »

Good point.