Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Strange Tales 75 and Henry Pym

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

in ANT-MAN/DR. HENRY JONATHAN PYM's listing, one line says:
ST 75/4

The only thing I found about this appearance is that it is in the "I Made the Hulk Live story". According to what I found on the fandom wiki, It was later retconned that he appeared as Poole's assistant under the name Blake, but I was unable to find anything else confirming that. It would be useful to have that reference with a "| cf " at the end of the item, given that it would be his first appearance in a book.

EDIT: Never mind. I found the reference. When the story was reprinted in Tomb of Darkness #22 the name of the "Hulk" was changed to Grutan. Poole's assistant was depicted with blonde hair and named Pym. Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z #13 made it part of Henry Pym's continuity.

I don't think that you have titlecodes for handbooks but i would recommend changing that line for:
ST 75/4 | cf Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z 13
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Strange Tales 75 and Henry Pym

Post by Midnighter »

Or maybe just
ST 75/2 | cf TOD 22
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Midnighter wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:01 am Or maybe just
ST 75/2 | cf TOD 22
I'm not familiar with the use of such references, but TOD 22 does not establish that its Pym character is Henry Pym. He's just a blond scientific assistant. Only the Officiel Handbook makes that connection much later on.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Shouldn't it just be the Tomb of Darkness issue listed? The ST story features Poole, not Pym. It's the Tomb of Darkness issue wherein Pym appears.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

vanhornluke wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:07 pm Shouldn't it just be the Tomb of Darkness issue listed? The ST story features Poole, not Pym. It's the Tomb of Darkness issue wherein Pym appears.
Same story, since it's a reprint. Only the names have changed. You wouldn't remove Captain America Comics #1 just because the scientist's name has changed to Erskine, wouldja?

Also, the timeline is perfect for Pym with ST, whereas, TOD occurs like after Avengers 150ish.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

I agree with Midnighter or vanhornluke. TOD 22 is a modified reprint (like the Dr. Droom/Druid stories). Pym appears in TOD 22 not ST 75. TOD is published circa A 150 but it does not mean it occurs at its time of publication. It probably occurs at the time of ST 75.

OHOTMU only confirms TOD 22, which remains the source for Pym.

The line as proposed by Midnighter covers the genesis.
ST 75/2 | cf TOD 22
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Leoparis wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 am I agree with Midnighter or vanhornluke. TOD 22 is a modified reprint (like the Dr. Droom/Druid stories). Pym appears in TOD 22 not ST 75. TOD is published circa A 150 but it does not mean it occurs at its time of publication. It probably occurs at the time of ST 75.

OHOTMU only confirms TOD 22, which remains the source for Pym.
Modified only in the title and in the name of the assistant. Everything else (the text, the pencils, etc.) is exactly the same except for the colors. On that matter, I don't know if they already intended to imply that Pym was actually Henry Pym in TOD 22, but they clearly changed his hair from black to blond. On the other hand, given that Henry Pym had been around for years at the time of the reprint, it's a bit odd that they would miss the opportunity to confirm the connection to Henry Pym. Only the OHOTMU did that. I bet readers of the reprint asked themselves the same question. But Marvel probably decided to keep the changes to a minimum and use only the assistant's last name like they did in the original.
Leoparis wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 amThe line as proposed by Midnighter covers the genesis.
ST 75/2 | cf TOD 22
Yeah, that works for me as well.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

It occurred to me that TOD is the code for Tomb of Dracula and we don't have one for Tomb of Darkness.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Leoparis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:48 am It occurred to me that TOD is the code for Tomb of Dracula and we don't have one for Tomb of Darkness.
Tomb of Darkness would probably be entered as TODNESS, as per CODNESS for Chamber of Darkness. It's been incorrectly entered into the listings..

ANT-MAN/DR. HENRY JONATHAN PYM
AOU 10AI (3 - 7)-FB
A 227 (11:2 - 11:4)-FB
UWASP 1 (4:2 - 4:4)-FB
A 227 (11:5)-FB
UWASP 8 (6 - 7:1)-FB
TTA 44 (2:8 - 5:1)-FB
AOU 10AI (8:1 - 8:3)-FB
ST 75/4 | cf TOD 22 <<< CHANGE TO ST 75/4 | cf TODNESS 22
CONSPIRACY 1 (14:2)-FB
M/:LG 12
---
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.