EMPYRE to KING IN BLACK

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Re: EMPYRE to KING IN BLACK

Post by Spurs91 »

Does it cause problems to just take the 3 month gap in GotG 12 as plain wrong?

Empyre
GotG 7-8
X of Swords
King In Black begins
S.W.O.R.D. 2-4 and GotG 9-10
King In Black ends
GotG 11-12 with ??? time gap
More X issues
Hellfire Gala
Last Annihilation

More to update a little bit:

Spider-Woman 1: Main story is 2 weeks after backup, which has Jessica still with Strikeforce, dealing with 'leftover' Doombots (from Amazing Spider-Man 36?). Then Jessica gets her new costume (in backup).
Spider-Woman 2: Continues from 1. 2 weeks pass during issue while Jessica is observed using new serum.
Spider-Woman 3-5: A day passes during #3, but all continuous. At end of #5 unspecified amount of time passes before Jessica is ready to go to space.
Spider-Woman 6: Any amount of time could pass as Jessica & Captain Marvel travel in space, then Jessica does more solo travelling, ending as King In Black appears to be under way.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Count me among those who would disregard or reinterpret the Three Months Later tag. Star-Lord just went through 144 years in his own timeline in issue #9. So time differentials are not foreign to this series. I'm satisfied with "time passes differently in different parts of the galaxy."
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

Yes, that must be right.

I read Thor 9-14: Prey. Nothing leapt out placement-wise, except that it seems like the next arc shouldn't come too long after.
Issues 15 to 28(!) are down as unsorted in the KiB -> AXE section - are there no breaks possible in any of this run for King In Black to fit in?
It was glancing through #15 that made me think there shouldn't be too long a gap, but I guess I'd need to check the endings and beginnings of the next arcs, too.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Spurs91 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:54 pm Does it cause problems to just take the 3 month gap in GotG 12 as plain wrong?

Empyre
GotG 7-8
X of Swords
King In Black begins
S.W.O.R.D. 2-4 and GotG 9-10
King In Black ends
GotG 11-12 with ??? time gap
More X issues
Hellfire Gala
Last Annihilation
Leoparis wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:20 am Count me among those who would disregard or reinterpret the Three Months Later tag. Star-Lord just went through 144 years in his own timeline in issue #9. So time differentials are not foreign to this series. I'm satisfied with "time passes differently in different parts of the galaxy."
I'll go along with that as well. I've removed GOTG6 9-12 from this list.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

DotStinks wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:04 pm
Spurs91 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:15 pm Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon 1-6 is all continuous.
Danny & Luke are hanging together at the start, suggesting Luke should know about the Starbrand baby...unless they just don't talk business.
Taskmaster appears in the first 2 issues.
In #3 Sunspot appears via Krakoan gate from space, where he's "basically running the place".
At the end, Danny loses his Iron Fist powers. So this all comes after any Avengers appearances where he still has powers.
He has his powers in King in Black as well as the King's Ransom arc in Amazing Spider-Man 61-65 & Giant-Size Amazing Spider-Man: King's Ransom, and has lost his powers by Devil's Reign. Heart of the Dragon belongs in the KING IN BLACK to AXE JUDGMENT DAY section, I think.
I agree. I've moved Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon 1-6 into the To Do list in KING IN BLACK to AXE JUDGMENT DAY. I also moved these two posts, which deal exclusively with Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon 1-6, into that topic.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

Captain Marvel 22-26 have Carol transported to the future and brought back to the moment she left at the end, so very little present.
In the present bits, though, Spider-Woman is in her traditional costume, so it's before the new volume of that. In #26 Carol and Rhodey break up.

# 27 is not down as needing sorting here, but...it starts "12 days" after #26, with Spider-Woman still in the old costume. 8 days pass, so that would still be before the main story in Spider-Woman #1. Carol is doing random super-heroing in that time. Carol is pre- her new costume in the next arc, and Dr. Strange appears prominently at the end, still alive, so I can't see anything that would put this after King In Black.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Spurs91 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:26 pm Captain Marvel 22-26 have Carol transported to the future and brought back to the moment she left at the end, so very little present.
In the present bits, though, Spider-Woman is in her traditional costume, so it's before the new volume of that. In #26 Carol and Rhodey break up.

# 27 is not down as needing sorting here, but...it starts "12 days" after #26, with Spider-Woman still in the old costume. 8 days pass, so that would still be before the main story in Spider-Woman #1. Carol is doing random super-heroing in that time. Carol is pre- her new costume in the next arc, and Dr. Strange appears prominently at the end, still alive, so I can't see anything that would put this after King In Black.
Consider, however, that Spider-Woman returns to wearing the classic costume in SW7 11, just after King In Black.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Captain Marvel 27 takes place over a week, and leads directly into the next story arc, without a break. It's been placed in KING IN BLACK to AXE: JUDGMENT DAY.
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

I looked through half of CM 28 and it doesn't say it's the next day from #27 or anything. In fact, from Carol waking up alone again, there has to be at least one full day between 27 and 28. And King In Black is only a few days...
Looking at the KiB -> AXE section, that has CM 22-31 all as a single entry, so something has to change somewhere (I'd still say there's no need to push any of 22-27 after King In Black)

Also, still seeing those Iron Fist issues in the first post in this thread.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Spurs91 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:46 pm Also, still seeing those Iron Fist issues in the first post in this thread.
I've removed the Iron Fist & Captain Marvel issues from the 'still to be sorted' list here.
Spurs91 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:46 pm Looking at the KiB -> AXE section, that has CM 22-31 all as a single entry, so something has to change somewhere (I'd still say there's no need to push any of 22-27 after King In Black)
I'm not following your reasoning here. You've made the statement, but you haven't explained why CM9 22-31 can't exist as a single entry.

I initially had CM9 22-26 slated for this section, but i moved Captain Marvel 22-36 into the KING IN BLACK to AXE: JUDGMENT DAY section, as one continuous story. There's a 12-day break between issues 26 & 27. Issue 27 begins with Carol dealing with Snats on a Wednesday. The issue continues through to Friday of the following week. Issue 28 states that Carol dealt with the Snats "last week," so that doesn't leave very many days after the end of issue 27 for issue 28 to begin. Issues 28-29 take place after Strange Academy 10, which i have also placed after KIB.

This placement isn't necessarily set in concrete, but you haven't explained why KIB must take place between CM9 27 & 28, and can't work where i've placed them. Spider-Woman's costume isn't an issue, as i've placed Jessica's return to her traditional costume prior to CM9 22.
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

The reason something DEFINITELY needs to change is that half of those CM issues currently appear in both this thread AND the KiB -> AXE thread. They can't be both. It's something I've now come across with Iron Man 2-4 as well.

"i've placed Jessica's return to her traditional costume prior to CM9 22."
Fair enough...but, my reasoning was based (in part) on CM 22 being in the pre-KiB thread, with the earlier Spider-Woman issues. If they weren't there I probably never would have had this line of thought.

So, please edit those CM and Iron Man issues out of Empyre -> KiB. It's confusing, and leading at least me to read things where it has already been decided they don't belong.

EDIT: Also, Conan: Battle for the Serpent Crown is in the unsorted part of this thread, but only as #1. I read all 5 and don't see any issue with the whole continuous story being here (guest appearances from Scarlet Spider as still native to Vegas, Black Cat on a job in Vegas, Black Panther in Wakanda and Namor in Atlantis).
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Thanks for the info on Conan: Battle for the Serpent Crown. I've removed the offending issues from the 'still to be placed' list.

Please bear in mind that these lists are a work in progress, maintained on a voluntary basis as time and energy allows, by fallible and far from perfect individuals, like me.

As always, your input and suggestions are welcome and appreciated, along with your patience and understanding.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

I think i should also just clarify something here for the sake of everyone who uses these lists. The titles listed as 'still to be placed' have not yet been analyzed, and may or may not even belong to the particular topic in which they have been listed. That's kind of the whole point - they are still to be placed. Think of them as being in a temporary holding pattern for convenience.
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

As I'm now about to read King In Black, is that not analysed anywhere? Do you want me to do it? (In the KiB -> AXE thread)
Page by page and noting flashbacks and everything isn't really my thing, I just like to know where a whole issue has to happen, but I'll do it if it needs doing.
(And I guess this post itself could go there too, but I've written it now...)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

King in Black has only been touched on in Clive_Reston's Rolling X-Titles thread, and it will probably have to meshed with the Hellfire Gala. But go ahead with a new topic dedicated to KING IN BLACK. Do what you're comfortable with, and a core spine will be a good start anyway. I haven't even read it yet (it's just too many issues for me to tackle at this time), so even if you provide a spine of issues in a rough reading order, it might inspire me or someone else to get involved. Others will chip in and fill in the page breaks, flashbacks, etc, and thrash out the details.