Marvels Snapshots: Captain Marvel v1 #1

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Captain Good
Henchman
Henchman

Marvels Snapshots: Captain Marvel v1 #1

Post by Captain Good »

This issue properly messes up the history of Carol Danvers' Air Force service relative to the Fantastic Four. She tells Jenni that she was an officer cadet at the time the FF became famous, and that The Thing was one of her inspirations as a pilot. But Wolverine vol. 2 #-1 and Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm and Logan show that Carol's career had already moved on from active flying service to working in intelligence prior to the events of Fantastic Four #1.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Marvels Snapshots: Captain Marvel v1 #1

Post by Midnighter »

Captain Good wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 am This issue properly messes up the history of Carol Danvers' Air Force service relative to the Fantastic Four. She tells Jenni that she was an officer cadet at the time the FF became famous, and that The Thing was one of her inspirations as a pilot. But Wolverine vol. 2 #-1 and Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm and Logan show that Carol's career had already moved on from active flying service to working in intelligence prior to the events of Fantastic Four #1.
Yes, but it's a discrepancy that has already surfaced with the Marvel 75th Anniversary Special, in which Carol is seen flying during the takeoff of the Fantastic Four rocket.
We can speculate that Carol has returned to fly after joining intelligence. Probably Ben Grimm was her idol before he became the Thing (and Ben was actually a decorated pilot), when she was a cadet and then, after she got into intelligence and then returned to fly, she must have continued to follow his career, keeping a picture of him as the Thing in the locker.

Even in MSM2 32 it was shown that Carol had not yet entered Intelligence when Tony Stark was already Iron Man (or at least, Carol made a joke in which she suggested that Stark was Iron Man). This dialogue was obviously ignored.
Captain Good
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Captain Good »

That still doesn't work. In Snapshots she says "I was already on my way to second lieutenant by the time the Fantastic Four rolled out", but in the 75th Anniversary issue she calls the tower saying "This is Major Danvers" when she sees the FF's launch. It takes about ten years to get from second lieutenant to major in the USAF.

I just spent hours looking up issues and writing a post about the many other inconsistencies in accounts of Carol's early career, but when I went to post it I had somehow been logged out! And I haven't the energy to do it all again...
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Captain Good wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:48 pmI just spent hours looking up issues and writing a post about the many other inconsistencies in accounts of Carol's early career, but when I went to post it I had somehow been logged out! And I haven't the energy to do it all again...
That's unfortunate! :(

The same thing happened to me once a long while back, so now i make sure to compile any major study on my pc, and then copy it over to the forum.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

That's a lesson learned by all the old regulars. If you go for an hour without clicking on something--something to say, "Hey! I'm still here!"--you get logged out. Congratulations, Cap. You've been initiated.
:applause:
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Russ Chappell wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 am That's a lesson learned by all the old regulars. If you go for an hour without clicking on something--something to say, "Hey! I'm still here!"--you get logged out. Congratulations, Cap. You've been initiated.
:applause:
Huh, do you not tick the box to keep you logged in? I go weeks at a time without having to relogin. :?