Fantastic Four: Antithesis

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Fantastic Four: Antithesis

Post by Leoparis »

Mark Waid & Neal Adams storytellers

Characters:
Mr. Fantastic
The Thing
Human Torch
Invisible Woman

Annihilus
Franklin
Valeria (as a baby)
Agatha Harkness
Silver Surfer

On the credits page: " A new story from a classic era"

Given the age of Valeria, it seems the classic era would be Mark Waid's era (2002-2004). The depictions of the FF (pages 9-10) also seem to match those in the 2005 movie.

In issue 2 Reed says, "Our newborn daughter is weeks old." Valeria was born in FF3 54. If she's only weeks old that story must take place very early in Waid's run. Her depiction matches that of her in FF3 60.

Between FF3 59 & 60 appears as the best choice.

Possibly confirming this, the Treasury edition collecting this series also includes FF3 60.

Note: In FF3 55, Reed and Sue have dinner. Reed says, "To 256 marvelous months since I first laid eyes on you." That's 21 years and 4 months. If Sue is about 33 years old she was 12 when she first met Reed.

ANNIHILUS
FF3 44
FF:A 1
FF:A 2
FF:FOES 2

GALACTUS
JLA/A 2
FF:A 2-FB
FF:A 3
FF:A 4
THANOS 3-FB

HARKNESS, AGATHA
MAXSEC 3
WITCHES 1

HUMAN TORCH II/JOHNNY STORM
FF3 59
FF3 60

INVISIBLE WOMAN/SUE STORM RICHARDS
FF3 59
FF3 60

MR. FANTASTIC/REED RICHARDS
FF3 59
FF3 60

RICHARDS, FRANKLIN BENJAMIN
FF3 55
FF3 60

RICHARDS, VALERIA
FF3 59
FF3 60

SILVER SURFER/NORRIN RADD
ORDER 6
FF:A 2-FB
M/HOL 2007/4

THING II/BENJAMIN J. GRIMM
FF3 59
FF3 60

Revised Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:08 pm to add listings and a note about FF3 55.
Revised Mon Mar 1, 2021 to add a remark about the Treasury edition.
Last edited by Leoparis on Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Fantastic Four: Antithesis

Post by Midnighter »

In this story Valeria seems quite grown up, even if she doesn't speak yet. Susan leaves her kids for the weekend with Agatha Harkness, so the story takes place after Valeria's birth, and enough time for her to have long blonde hair, but before Agatha is killed by Scarlet Witch in A 503-FB.

In my opinion just before Agatha's death, around FOUR 8-9, it should be a good placement.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the Silver Surfer chronology at this point, but crossing the chronologies of FF, She-Hulk, Galactus and Norrin Radd, for Surfer I would place it just before SH 8, even if not I know the overall period well (I have not read SS4, but from what I understand there is a question of cancellation and modification of reality).

For Galactus, between THANOS 12 and FF 517 is the suitable placement (Gladiator is in SH 8 together with Silver Surfer and She-Hulk after THANOS 12 and before Avengers Disassembled), while for Annihilus there is a very wide interval between FF3 44 and FF: FOES 2 where to place the story.

All this obviously waiting to read the following issues of the series.