Essential Secret Wars (2015) back story

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Beifica
Hero
Hero

Essential Secret Wars (2015) back story

Post by Beifica »

Hi guys, I'm not sure where this post would fit so I'm creating it here.

I'm going to tackle 2015's Secret Wars and I would like to know which issues/story arcs are essential to enjoy the event to it's fullest.

I know everything X-Men related up to 2013, but Avengers not so much. I know the X-Men do not have that much of a role in SW, so I don't mind reading Avengers in preparation for the event, I guess.

I know there is this post on CBH, but is it really necessary to read the entire Avengers / New Avengers run?

Can you give me a few pointers?

Thank you
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Essential Secret Wars (2015) back story

Post by StrayLamb »

From an X-Men perspective, i would say Axis and the 21 issue 2014 Magneto run would be the most important lead in to Secret War. I really enjoyed Magneto, by the way. Probably also Deadpool 35-45, which is from Axis to Secret War. To get the best background on the incursions and lead in to Secret Wars, i would suggest New Avengers 1-3, then skip ahead to New Avengers 24-33, Avengers 35-44, Avengers World 17-21, and Captain America & The Mighty Avengers 8-9.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Beifica
Hero
Hero

Post by Beifica »

Thank you so much. This was exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Enjoy! Then come back and tell us what you thought of it. :D
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Beifica
Hero
Hero

Post by Beifica »

StrayLamb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:02 am Enjoy! Then come back and tell us what you thought of it. :D

Will certainly do!

Already have read New Avengers #1-3 and without knowing the specifics of Secret Wars, I think it works as an intro for the incursions status quo.

Will continue to read the relevant Avengers stories in the middle of my X-Men read, so it will take me probably more than a year to reach Secret Wars, but that's the fun part of it, the journey.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Beifica wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 am
StrayLamb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:02 am Enjoy! Then come back and tell us what you thought of it. :D

Will certainly do!

Already have read New Avengers #1-3 and without knowing the specifics of Secret Wars, I think it works as an intro for the incursions status quo.

Will continue to read the relevant Avengers stories in the middle of my X-Men read, so it will take me probably more than a year to reach Secret Wars, but that's the fun part of it, the journey.
Well, maybe you'll read also the Infinity storyline and its epilogue, Inhumanity. It involves the X-Men only very marginally (there is a tie-in in Wolverine & The X-Men Annual and the presence of Jean Grey School students in the Infinity: The Hunt miniseries), and involves Deadpool only as regards its presence in the Thunderbolts, but it is an event that still has very important long-term consequences for the X-Men, even for the after Secret Wars.
Beifica
Hero
Hero

Post by Beifica »

Midnighter wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 am
Beifica wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 am

Will certainly do!

Well, maybe you'll read also the Infinity storyline and its epilogue, Inhumanity. It involves the X-Men only very marginally (there is a tie-in in Wolverine & The X-Men Annual and the presence of Jean Grey School students in the Infinity: The Hunt miniseries), and involves Deadpool only as regards its presence in the Thunderbolts, but it is an event that still has very important long-term consequences for the X-Men, even for the after Secret Wars.
Thank you.

I'm considering reading Infinity along with Original Sin. I'm aware that they don't feature the X-Men that much but they are important for the MU status quo, so I'll go through them. Thank you!
Pocokk
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Pocokk »

I don't want to open a new topic about my question, as it is connected to this one, so here it is:

What are the MOST CRUCIAL/required tie-ins that are almost needed to read the Secret Wars series? I know there was a bunch and I've also heard that maybe Thors is the most important one, but what about the others?
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Pocokk wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 pmWhat are the MOST CRUCIAL/required tie-ins that are almost needed to read the Secret Wars series? I know there was a bunch and I've also heard that maybe Thors is the most important one, but what about the others?
For the immediate lead in to Secret Wars, i recommend Captain America and the Mighty Avengers 8-9, Magneto 18-21, Avengers 36-44, and New Avengers 24-33.

For the main event, there's Secret Wars 1-9, but also the Secret Wars FCBD.

Most of the mini-series are self-contained, but these eight series tie in together, introduce major characters, and lead into the final battle..

Thors 1-4
Hail Hydra 1-4
Red Skull 1-3
Old Man Logan 1-5
A-Force 1-5
Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies 1-4
Siege 1-4
Ultimate End 1-5
Pocokk
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Pocokk »

Thank you so much.