What next?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Beifica
Hero
Hero

What next?

Post by Beifica »

Hi there guys,

I'm creating this topic here because it's a generic section and I'm not sure where else to put it so...I apologize if it's misplaced.

I feel the need to where where I'm coming from in order for you to understand my question:

I have been a longtime x-fan, and back in 2017 I decided to tackle the entire history of X-Men comics in a chronological way.

I planned (and still do) to read every single x-men main team comic (adjectiveless, uncanny, astonishing, etc etc). Along with x-men mini-series, and peripheral team/characters runs/series (x-factor, x-force, wolverine, new mutants) that are good or relevant. Along with this I have read x-characters relevant/good appearances outside x-comics, like storm's wedding in Black Panther, or some Deadpool runs that involve the x-men or x-force.

So, being a continuity nut, it's only natural that I have used this site A LOT for the past 3 years, to help me figure out what to read next. I can't thank you enough for the amazing job everybody has been doing here. It provides an irreplaceable guidance to me.

With that being said, I'm currently reaching AvX, which is, for the x-men, the end of the line as far as entries on the index go.

I'm wondering, as the topic title says "what's next?"

I mean, for the x-men team books, I know there are the index topics, so it's just a matter of following those, but what about all the other appearances in other marvel books? how can I continue my comprehensive reading order without knowing where the characters appeared?

Are there individual character threads in the forum that track these things before they are added to the site?

I'm not sure I'll get an solution for my "problem", but I would like to know if there are ways of knowing this without sweeping every single marvel comic published in the years following AvX.

Thank you very much for your time and again, congratulation on the awesome and valuable job you have done here.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What next?

Post by Col_Fury »

We've been hammering out universe-wide chronologies, which are basically maps being used for individual characters as the books are added to the MCP. Here's a link to the various maps:

Check it out!

These might be easier for you to use, because you won't have to compare Cyclops to Storm to Wolverine or whatever. However, you'd have to filter out Spider-Man, New Warriors, etc.

I think this is what you're looking for. :yepp:
-Daron Jensen
Beifica
Hero
Hero

Post by Beifica »

Thank you for your reply Col. Fury.

Yes, that is what I currently do. I used to search for every x-character to map my own reading order but then I discovered you had these threads, so still searched for every x-character just to know which issues they appeared, but I started to refer to those indexes for the reading order.

My point is (and maybe I'm overlooking something here), before AvX, and by searching for, let's say, Domino, I would know that X-Force appears in Hulk v2 14-17, which are books that I wouldn't normally look for.

I've noticed that in those indexes you guys put some character names or events after the issues, to help the mapping process. I guess I will have to hope for notes like that to point out significant X-men appearances outside X-related comics!

Thanks again for your time
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

A lot of the post-AVX books are covered by Jason Doty & co. in the Watch threads. You can go from the chronology spines that Col Fury has pointed out, and search for the book in the Watch threads, for an overview of who appears in each book.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

OK, I see where you're coming from.

As part of your research in seeing if any X-Characters appear in a given book, in addition to Russ' Character Watches suggestion you could go to the Marvel fandom wiki and search for the book in question; they usually are caught up.

I hope these suggestions help!
-Daron Jensen
Beifica
Hero
Hero

Post by Beifica »

Thank you Russ and Col. Fury, your answers certainly help, bu excuse my ignorance, where can I find these watch threads?

btw I also remembered this. It's funny they've updated up to more or less the same era as this site!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

It's a sub-page under the Issue Analysis forum, called Character Watches.
-Daron Jensen