Captain Bowman in IH2 223

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Captain Bowman in IH2 223

Post by StrayLamb »

Captain Bowman, Head of Security at Gamma Base since Major Talbot went on extended leave, appears in IH2 223, but this appearance isn't recorded in his chronology. A little research tells me that this Captain Bowman is not considered to be the same Captain Bowman, Head of Security at Gamma Base, that appears in IH2 239-257.

This second Captain Bowman apparently has the first name of Thomas, as given in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z (2008) #5, which apparently also confirms IH2 239 as his first appearance. I don't have a copy of the Handbook in question, but https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Incredib ... _Vol_1_223 makes the following statement: "They are clearly two different men as this Captain Bowman is much younger than the man who later appears in Incredible Hulk #239." The same website, however, lists IH2 223 as Captain Bowman's first appearance. Hmmm.

Looking thru Captain Bowman's appearances in IH2 239-243, i can't see any noticable difference in the way the characters are portrayed. They both have the same color and style of hair between these issues and IH2 223. It seems to me the Handbook may have this wrong. Since some of the people involved in producing the Handbook in question are also contributors to the MCP, perhaps they can shed some light on how these two individuals with the same name, rank and position as Head of Security at Gamma Base, and who both have the same hairstyle, cannot in fact be the same person. Surely there is no more difference between them than one can expect in comic book art, without the same penciller and inker doing the artwork.

Also, the issues in question are only a little over a year or so apart by publication date, and are only a few months apart by internal chronology. It seems absurd that these can possibly be two different characters. :?:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Captain Bowman in IH2 223

Post by Russ Chappell »

I tend to agree with you. We would normally overlook distinctions in the way a character is drawn.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe