Missing Punisher appearances

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Missing Punisher appearances

Post by Giant Ant »

I noticed a couple of missing appearances for the Punisher.
PWJ 61/2 : Punisher kills an unamed criminal
PWZ 23/2 : Punisher trains and narrates his conditioning techniques, beats up some unnamed thugs
PWJ 70/1 : Punisher buys a car ( this issue is already included in other characters chronologies, like Payback and Lynn Michaels, but was skipped for the Punisher. The /1 should be added to the other characters chronologies. The second story features Punisher IV Jimmy Pierce and is already included in his chronology). This one probably goes before PWJ 71/1.
Does the index give any indications for placement?
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Missing Punisher appearances

Post by vanhornluke »

MCP is also missing Frank's appearance in The Punisher Meets Archie #1, which the handbooks confirm is 616 rather than 7642.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:37 amThe /1 should be added to the other characters chronologies.
First stories don't get a /number. Only subsequent stories in an issue.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The Punisher Index says this for PWJ 70:

PUNISHER II/FRANCIS G. CASTIGLIONE/"FRANK CASTLE"
……
P2 95
*PWJ 70
PWJ 71
……

PWJ 61/2 is covered, but doesn't give a chronology. I would put it before the Suicide Run crossover begins, here:

……
GR/W/P:DD
*PWJ 61/2
PWJ 61
……

PWZ 23/2 is covered, but doesn't give a chronology. It's one of those weird things where Punisher is talking to the audience or something. There were more than a few of them, some were in Annuals I think? I'll have to look around to see if any of these were given a chronology by the Index.
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Also, do we need /2 when there's no reason not to believe the second story doesn't follow on immediately after the first story, with nothing else to place in there to break them apart?
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

If by "the second story", you mean that it's truly a second story, then yes, you need the /2. It doesn't matter that the second story takes place immediately after the first story. If by "the second story" you mean one story broken into chapters, then it's one story.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

Col_Fury wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 pm The Punisher Index says this for PWJ 70:

……
P2 95
*PWJ 70
PWJ 71
……

PWJ 61/2 is covered, but doesn't give a chronology. I would put it before the Suicide Run crossover begins, here:

……
GR/W/P:DD
*PWJ 61/2
PWJ 61
……

PWZ 23/2 is covered, but doesn't give a chronology. It's one of those weird things where Punisher is talking to the audience or something. There were more than a few of them, some were in Annuals I think? I'll have to look around to see if any of these were given a chronology by the Index.
Thanks!
That isn't much different from when he narrates his "war journal " entries. I guess he just likes talking to himself!
see also the Punisher Armory series, where he describes various weaponry. Would that be canon? I think we see him in at least one issue...
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Is Rat-Man 616? He met the Punisher in Wiz #12 (Oct 1996). That story is only in Italian, so I've never read it (or any other Rat-Man story), and so don't know if it's possible that's the 616 version of Frank who appears there or not.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Rat-Man is set in his own universe. There are other team-up with Marvel characters (with Spider-Man, with Captain America & Nick Fury, with Wolverine, with Elektra and a really hilarious one with Doctor Doom, while Von Doom was training in Tibet ), but all of them are set in the Rat-Man universe.
When these stories were reprinted in more recent times, these characters have been slightly modified so as not to have rights issues with Marvel.