Chronology: Birth of Franklin Richards to Birth of the Defenders

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

whatcomesnext?
Minion
Minion

Re: Chronology: Birth of Franklin Richards to Birth of the Defenders

Post by whatcomesnext? »

Ah. My mistake. I was looking at an entry on Atomic Avenue for that issue and the reference to TOS 17 must be for the 3rd story. When I got the issue out of storage and looked at the first page of the 2nd story, the whole style and layout of it made me think it was a 50's reprint.

But now I'm curious: Does the MCP consider Marvel's horror shorts from titles like Chamber of Secrets and Tower of Shadows as occurring in the MU? Or was there something special about this story in particular that warranted inclusion?
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

whatcomesnext? wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:37 pmBut now I'm curious: Does the MCP consider Marvel's horror shorts from titles like Chamber of Secrets and Tower of Shadows as occurring in the MU? Or was there something special about this story in particular that warranted inclusion?
That story was included in this chronology page as i had recently read it, and decided there was nothing preventing it from occuring within the Marvel Universe. Personally, i believe that if a story can be cannon, then it is cannon. :)

The MCP only lists (mostly) recurring characters, and there generally aren't any in the horror comics. Lack of inclusion of a story in the MCP could simply be due to lack of any recurring character. I'm sure Russ will correct me if i'm wrong, and if there's a standing policy i've overlooked.

I should point out that these general chronology pages are not "official" MCP chronologies. Those are the individual character chronologies. Rather, Frank, Michel and myself, along with other contributors, have offered up our own personal chronologies as starting points for anyone looking for an overall chronology. However, we have made every effort to keep them in line with the MCP's official individual character chronologies wherever possible. Enjoy!
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

StrayLamb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:09 pm That story was included in this chronology page as i had recently read it, and decided there was nothing preventing it from occuring within the Marvel Universe. Personally, i believe that if a story can be cannon, then it is cannon. :)

The MCP only lists (mostly) recurring characters, and there generally aren't any in the horror comics. Lack of inclusion of a story in the MCP could simply be due to lack of any recurring character. I'm sure Russ will correct me if i'm wrong, and if there's a standing policy i've overlooked.
No, you've nailed it. In many cases there's simply nothing for us to list.

The long-standing policy here is that every story is canon (and by "canon" we mean 616; EVERY story is canon to itself) unless either a) Marvel says it isn't or b) it can't be. It's in the FAQ.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Troutlaw
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Troutlaw »

Is there a reason for Silver Surfer 6-11 and 13 being omitted?
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Troutlaw wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:48 pm Is there a reason for Silver Surfer 6-11 and 13 being omitted?
Yes! I neglected to include them! :mrgreen:

Thanks for pointing that out! I've added those in, and also taken the opportunity to make some updates, wich are in bold.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Troutlaw
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Troutlaw »

More stuff I've noticed while going through this section:
Silver Surfer 13 is missing.
Captain Marvel 17 is listed twice unless there's supposed to be a break between pages.
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos Annual 6 is a bunch of reprints but the framing sequence can be placed here.
I've also checked different sections of the chronology but every issue of Punisher: Year One is missing except for the second.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

All done! Maybe? :wink:

Thanks for your input Troutlaw! Keep 'em coming if you notice anything else that's not right.
Troutlaw
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Troutlaw »

Excerpts from this chronology:

Captain America 114-119 [intro Falcon]
Captain Marvel 17
Captain America 120 (1 - 20:2)

Iron Man 19
Captain Marvel 17
Captain Marvel 18 (1 - 19)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Fixed, thanks!

Iron Man 19
Captain Marvel 17
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

A major revision to the top end of this list, highlighted in bold.
whatcomesnext?
Minion
Minion

Post by whatcomesnext? »

Question:

I had long had a recollection of, and tonight finally found, a comment from an Olshevsky index, specifically FFIndex #7 from '86 as it turns out. A comment after FF 125 reads, in part, "Several months pass between this story and the story in the next issue... Among the other events that occur during this busy summer are the initial appearances and origins of some of Marvel's 'monster' characters, such as the Werewolf, the Ghost Rider and Dracula, and the return of Dr. Strange and the formation of the Defenders."

It also mentions, "Chronological analysis of Marvel's comics during this interval is still far from complete," so clearly this wasn't set in stone. I was just wondering, what was the thinking behind the placement here of the first appearances of the Werewolf and Dracula, an unusually long time before their relative publication date? Just curious.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

whatcomesnext? wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 am It also mentions, "Chronological analysis of Marvel's comics during this interval is still far from complete," so clearly this wasn't set in stone. I was just wondering, what was the thinking behind the placement here of the first appearances of the Werewolf and Dracula, an unusually long time before their relative publication date? Just curious.
I think it is a deduction because, for the first issues of Werewolf by Night, the transformations of Jack Russell could only take place during the 3-4 days of the full moon, so it was necessary to take into account that between an adventure and the other always passed at least 28 days. For the first period, the only narrative intersection within the series was with Tomb of Dracula, so this series also had to move back accordingly.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

whatcomesnext? wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 amIt also mentions, "Chronological analysis of Marvel's comics during this interval is still far from complete," so clearly this wasn't set in stone. I was just wondering, what was the thinking behind the placement here of the first appearances of the Werewolf and Dracula, an unusually long time before their relative publication date? Just curious.
More changes to the list in Bold. Interesting you should mention Werewolf By Night - i've just moved his premiere issues down into the next list, along with Cat 1-2.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

More clean-ups in Bold, with help from Leoparis.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

There is backup story, CASW 7/4, which I place shortly before CA 110, subject to review.

X-Men 53
*CASW 7/3 here
Incredible Hulk 104 (2-20)
Incredible Hulk 105
Incredible Hulk 106 (1 - 7)
Captain America 110 (1 - 8) ~ Savage Hulk 1 (4 - 13)

Avengers story:
A 71
Iron Man 19
Ms Marvel 2 (11:2 - 11:4)-FB
Captain Marvel 18 (20)
Ms Marvel 2 (11:6 - 12:1)-FB
Captain Marvel 19
Marvel 2 4th story flashback Captain America Vision
Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD 15
Iron Man 20
Iron Man 21 (1 - 12)