SECRET WARS to CIVIL WAR II

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

SECRET WARS to CIVIL WAR II

Post by wolverine7230 »

So I've started catching up on all the series I've missed since Secret Wars, through to Secret Empire, and honestly I couldn't help but start thinking about the chronology of it all. So, here's what I've done so far, with just a handful of series, I'll keep updating this as I continue reading series, and please feel free to contribute, question or correct me. Figured if anyone is going to find my notes useful, you guys will...

SECRET WARS
Avengers: Rage of Ultron
Ant-Man Annual 1
ANAD Marvel Point One
Contest of Champions 1-10
Invincible Iron Man 1-5
Avengers 0
Captain America: Sam Wilson 1-6
New Avengers 1-7
ANAD Avengers 1-3
FCBD 2015 Avengers (avengers story)
Uncanny Avengers 1-4
ANAD Avengers 4-6
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6
Agents of SHIELD 1-2
AVENGERS STANDOFF: ASSAULT ON PLEASANT HILL
Agents of SHIELD 5-6
Captain America: Sam Wilson 9
New Avengers 11
Thunderbolts 1-4
ANAD Avengers 9-12 / FCBD 2016 Civil War II (2nd Story)
Uncanny Avengers 9-12
Captain America: Steve Rogers 1-3 / FCBD 2016 Captain America (1st Story)
Invincible Iron Man 6-11
CIVIL WAR II

Thanks all
Last edited by wolverine7230 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SECRET WARS to CIVIL WAR II

Post by Col_Fury »

I've been itching to get caught up on post-SECRET WARS Marvel, and I'm almost ready to get started. Trust me, you'll know when I get started. :)

Good start, and thanks!
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

I've got a huge amount of notes for this period as well, but have been waiting for Col_Fury to put his version online. One thing i do have is a detailed chronology for Assault on Pleasant Hill, which i should probably post.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Here's a note on the bizarre chronology of Howard the Duck (2015B). The present-day bits of #1-5 and #8-11 happen in the space of just over a week; #7 and then #6 are substantially earlier; and there are a LOT of flashbacks and a few interesting contingencies.

#2 (14-15): 25 years ago (w/ Silver Surfer)

#2 (16-19): 5 years ago

#4 (1): "one year ago," during Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 2015A #4
#2/2 (4:3-6): during Howard the Duck (2015A) #5
(whatever order those two are in, doesn't matter)

#2 (1-2): 10 months ago

#2 (20): 8 months ago

#1/2: per editorial note, between Howard the Duck 2015A #5 and Howard the Duck 2015B #1, not clear if it's before or after Secret Wars, but I'm going to say after
#2/2 (1-4:2, 7-10)
#3/2 (2-9:3)
#3/2 (1, 9:4-10)

#7 (per editorial note, before #6, but post-Secret Wars; Spider-Man's got his glowing-blue-spider insignia, Daredevil's ID is secret again, and Steve Rogers is still old)

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015B) #6 (per editorial note, takes place before Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 2015B #1)
Howard the Duck (2015B) #6 (per editorial note, takes place before Howard the Duck 2015B #1)
Rocket is on Earth for both of these, if that helps

#2 (3-10): 6 months ago

#4 (9): 5 months ago

#1 (1): 3 months ago
#2 (11-13): 3 months ago

#1 (5-7): 1 month ago ("the ordeal with Squirrel Girl" has already happened)

Howard the Duck (2015B) #1 (2-4, 8-20)
#2 (21)
#3 (3-20)
#4 (2-8, 10-14)
#3 (1-2)
#4 (15-20)
#5 (1-14)
(All of this group are at some point after Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, and after the Thing has joined the Guardians of the Galaxy)

Ultimates #1-2 must happen here, in the "4-hour" break between Howard the Duck (2015B) #5, pages 14 and 15! Confirmed by editorial notes in #4 and #8: before then Galactus is his old purple self, and afterwards he's the Lifebringer. I suppose Howard's trip through the Nexus in #5 could involve some time travel, too, if necessary...

#5 (15-20)
#8 (includes some flashbacks to the Steve Gerber HtD run)
#9-11 (Dr. Strange still has magic & his old costume)

And the last page of #11 is "three months later."
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Ultimates 1-2 is also referenced in the Contest of Champions series, which all happens in very quick succession.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Another quick note on ANAD Point One: It takes place "weeks" before the Contest of Champions series, and shows Rocket raccoon and Groot on Earth at Halloween. This would mean it would take place in the 8-month gap between the infusion (July) and the proper start of the ANAD series. From what I've read so far, quite a few arcs seem to take place in this gap.

However, in the CoC series proper, we see time travel being used so there is some wiggle room.

Also, Civil War II starts in June.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

wolverine7230 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 am Ultimates 1-2 is also referenced in the Contest of Champions series, which all happens in very quick succession.
Ultimates 1-2 definitely happens before Contest of Champions #7, in which the Grandmaster makes reference to it (and to the Collector now being obsessed with Howard the Duck, which lines up nicely). But there seems to be a gap of at least a few weeks and maybe more between pages 18 and 19 of Contest of Champions #6--as we see in #7, White Fox's investigation has been going on for a while, and the woman from Outlaw's favorite pub has noticed that he's been gone for so long that she's come to his place to check on him, and subsequently called the police (his cat "must have been living off the mice").

Are there other reasons Contest of Champions 7-10 should be before Invincible Iron Man 1-5? (In CoC 1, Tony's wearing a prototype suit without some of the new tech he's building into the armor, which seems like a reasonable but not, uh, ironclad reason to put CoC 1-6 before IIM 1.)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Clive_Reston wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 am Are there other reasons Contest of Champions 7-10 should be before Invincible Iron Man 1-5? (In CoC 1, Tony's wearing a prototype suit without some of the new tech he's building into the armor, which seems like a reasonable but not, uh, ironclad reason to put CoC 1-6 before IIM 1.)
I have Iron Man and Contest of Champions like this:

Invincible Iron Man 1
Invincible Iron Man 2 (1-12)
Invincible Iron Man 2 (13-20)
Invincible Iron Man 3-8

Between his setting out to trace Madame Masque, and his locating her in Montreal, any amount of time could have elapsed. This also keeps the COC abduction at a time when Tony is still fiddling with his new armor.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

StrayLamb wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am Invincible Iron Man 1
Invincible Iron Man 2 (1-12)
Invincible Iron Man 2 (13-20)
Invincible Iron Man 3-8
Honestly I don't think there's much need to split Iron Man and Contest of Champions like this. From what I can tell, Tony has been working on his armor for quite some time before his series begins. This seems counter-productive to push this series back to what would equate to around November/December, judging from Point One. And moving Iron Man would also likely have a large knock-on effect on other series, as (for example), at least the first few issues of Doctor Strange have to take place before this. By moving this arc we'd ultimately be unnecesarily dragging more and more series back into this eight-month gap, which seems to defy the point of having that gap in the first place. That's my two cents on the matter at least.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

You may be right, it's a work in progress and a few people will no doubt have ideas on placement. You may also find that a fair bit of stuff will need to be pushed into that gap, however. It's pretty hard to keep a gap of any kind with Marvel's sliding time-scale, let alone 8 months. Most gaps end up getting squished. The first few Doctor Strange issues need to go before Iron Man 3, but probably not before Iron Man 1.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

So after looking back at my notes, the notes from you guys, and looking at a couple of other things, here is a more updated and accurate version of the chronology surrounding Contest of Champions, leaving out flashbacks for now at least for simplicity's sake:

Spider-Man 1 & 2 (1-19)
All-New, All Different Marvel Point One
Invincible Iron Man 1 & 2 (1-12)
Contest of Champions 1-5 & 6 (1-18)
Howard the Duck 1-4 & 5 (1-14)
Ultimates 1-2
Howard the Duck 5 (15-20) & 8-11
Contest of Champions 6 (19-20) & 7-10
All-New, All-Different Avengers 1-3
FCBD 2015 Avengers
Doctor Strange 1-2
Invincible Iron Man 2 (13-20) & 3-8
Invincible Iron Man 9-11

I'll start from the beginning and work through, giving a few notes as I go through:
- ANAD Point One is stated to occur several weeks before CoC itself, if memory serves
- Spider-Man 1 & 2 (1-19) take place during a period when another Avengers team is active, but by the time of 2 (20), which leads directly into 3, Miles is an avenger. ANAD Avengers implies that there hasn't been an actual Avengers team for a while. This undoubtedly takes place before the "8 months later" section of Secret Wars 9, as the relationship between Miles and Peter here seems very aggressive, while in that comic they are friendly towards each other
- I decided to go with the general consensus and split Iron Man up, as it does kind of make sense
- I placed Ultimates 1-2 and the Howard the Duck issues in the time gap in CoC 6, as it just makes sense, I placed Howard 9-11 with 1-5 & 8 as Doctor Strange's magic is still working entirely fine at this point
- ANAD Avengers has to occur before the next chunk of Iron Man, as they appear in 11 and there is no time for Tony to be elsewhere during this time period
- FCBD 2016 Avengers takes place on the "first day" of the new Avengers team
- Doctor Strange 1-2 is when Steven first starts noticing that magic is becoming unreliable
- Iron Man 2 (13-20) & 3-8 happen almost continuously, Spider-Man is present
- Iron Man 9-11 takes place "four weeks" after 8, and Stark cannot appear elsewhere between

I think with the sheer amount of comics being dragged into this part of the chronology, which would hypothetically take place around November/December, that we should assume that in ANAD Point One when we see Rocket Raccoon and Groot at Halloween, this is simply Maestro looking back at a previous point in time. This is not unreasonable at all from what I can see, as Battleworld is located outside of any one universe, and we see time travel being used at other points within the Contest of Champions series when transporting the contestants.

Please tell me what you think of these amendments, and let me know if any other series cross over with these arcs, to the extent where they should be placed in this section of the chronology.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Death of X definitely takes place during the post-Secret Wars 8-month gap--near the beginning of it, evidently.

The flashbacks in Daredevil (2015) #17-20 must happen before Howard the Duck (2015B) #7, and therefore before #1, because Daredevil's identity is secret again. (The all-new-all-different Avengers appear for a panel in Daredevil #19, but, uh, maybe they all just happened to be in the same place at the same time?)

Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 must be before (the present-day parts of) Howard the Duck (2015) #1.

Avengers #0, from 2015 (on Unlimited, it's All-New All-Different Avengers #0, oddly) precedes the first issues of ANAD Avengers, A-Force, New Avengers, Ultimates and Uncanny Avengers, but takes place at least a little while after Squadron Supreme #1 (they've acquired Oracle following their "recent dealings with Namor and the Atlanteans").

Old Man Logan (2016) #1 appears to begin immediately after Secret Wars ends: Logan wakes up in Times Square in the new world. A few days pass before the end of #1, and a few more in #2, before Logan encounters Amadeus Cho as the Hulk; the rest of #3, and most of #4, don't span too many days either (and then there's a break near the end of #4, and a long break between #4 and #5).

Amadeus became the Hulk "four months" before Totally Awesome Hulk #1-4. So either he became the Hulk approximately the day after Secret Wars ended, or old man Logan woke up at some point significantly after the end of Secret Wars. The former might make more sense.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Okay so with the new data we've gathered today we're left with this:

SECRET WARS
Old Man Logan 1-5
Totally Awesome Hulk 1-4
Avengers: Rage of Ultron (1-94)
Ant-Man Annual 1
Avengers: Rage of Ultron (95-99)
Spider-Man 1-2 (1-19)
Howard the Duck 7
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 6
Howard the Duck 6
Death of X 1-4
Secret Wars 9 (25-34) “Eight months later”
Squadron Supreme 1
All-New, All Different Marvel Point One
Contest of Champions 1 [2nd Story]
Avengers 0
Howling Commandos of SHIELD 1
Invincible Iron Man 1-2 (1-12)
Contest of Champions 1-6 (1-18)
All-New, All-Different Avengers 1-3
FCBD 2015: All-New, All Different Avengers
Daredevil 17-20 Flashbacks
Howard the Duck 1-5 (1-14)
Ultimates 1-2
Howard the Duck 5 (15-20) & 8-11
Contest of Champions 6 (19-20)-10
Doctor Strange 1-2
Invincible Iron Man 2 (13-20)-8
(“Four weeks”)
Invincible Iron Man 9-11
Nova 1-4
All-New, All-Different Avengers 4-6
Captain America: Sam Wilson 1-7
New Avengers 1-7
Uncanny Avengers 1-6
Agents of SHIELD 1-2
AVENGERS: STANDOFF!
Agents of SHIELD 5-6
Ms Marvel 1-3
Captain America: Sam Wilson 9
New Avengers 11
Thunderbolts 1-4
Ms Marvel 4-6
Uncanny Avengers 9-12
All-New, All Different Avengers 9 (1-18) / FCBD 2016: Civil War II [2nd Story]
Nova 5-7 / All-New, All Different Avengers 9 (19-20)
All-New, All Different Avengers 10-12
Captain America: Steve Rogers 1-3
Spider-Man 2 (20)-5
CIVIL WAR II

I've left out all flashbacks (except the Daredevil ones) at this point at least until the content in the eight month gap is in some actual order rather than the unorganised guess it currently is.
Moving the first arc of ANAD Avengers to before Howard the Duck and the Daredevil flashbacks is not an issue, and doing so is the easiest thing to do.
From reading it myself, I can't see a reason why Death of X has to take place near the start of the 8 month gap, is there something I'm missing?
Last edited by wolverine7230 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

I also quickly compiled a list of comics that still need to be added to this chronology of events. There are... quite a few:
A Year of Marvels: The Amazing, The Incredible, The Uncanny, the Unstoppable
A-Force 1-7
All-New, All Different Avengers Annual 1
All-New Hawkeye 1-6
All-New Inhumans 1-11
All-New Wolverine 1-9
All-New X-Men 1-?
Amazing Spider-Man 1-?
Amazing Spider-Man/Silk: Spiderfly Effect 1-4
Angela: Queen of Hel 1-7
Astonishing Ant-Man 1-?
Black Knight 1-5
Black Panther 1-6
Black Widow 1-6
Captain Marvel 1-5
Carnage 1-16
Daredevil 1-?
Daredevil/Punisher: Seventh Circle 1-4
Deadpool 1-13
Deadpool and Cable: Split Second 1-5
Deadpool and the Mercs for Money 1-3
Deadpool: Back in Black 1-5
Deadpool: Last Days of Magic
Deadpool: Massacre
Deadpool vs Gambit 1-5
Doctor Strange 3-?
Doctor Strange: Mystic Apprentice
Doctor Strange/Punisher: Magic Bullets 1-4
Drax 1-11
Extraordinary X-Men 1-?
FCBD 2015 Avengers [2nd Story]
FCBD 2016 Captain America [2nd Story]
FCBD 2016 Civil War II [2nd Story]
Ghost Rider 1-5
Guardians of Infinity 1-8
Guardians of the Galaxy 1-10
Hercules 1-6
Howling Commandos of SHIELD 2-5
Hyperion 1-6
Illuminati 1-5, 7
International Iron Man 1-?
Karnak 1-6
Mighty Thor 1-14
Mockingbird 1-5
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 1-?
Moon Knight 1-?
Nighthawk 1-6
Old Man Logan 6-?
Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat 1-7
Power Man and Iron Fist 1-5
Punisher 1-?
Red Wold 1-6
Rocket Raccoon and Groot 1-7
Scarlet Witch 1-8
Silk 1-?
Silver Surfer 1-?
Spider-Gwen 1-?
Spider-Man/Deadpool 1-?
Spider-Man 2099 1-12
Spider-Woman 1-8
Spider-Women: Alpha
Spider-Women: Omega
Spidey 1-12 (Non-Canon I think)
Squadron Supreme 2-8
Starbrand and Nightmask 1-6
Star-Lord 1-8
Totally Awesome Hulk 5-6
Ultimates 3-7
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 1-5, 7-?
Unbelievable Gwenpool 1-?
Uncanny Inhumans 1-10
Uncanny X-Men 1-?
Venom: Space Knight 1-10
Vision 1-?
Vote Loki 1-4
Weapon X 1-?
Web Warriors 1-?
Weirdworld 1-6
X-Men '92 1-?
X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever 1-5 (Canon?)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Death of X really has to go pretty early in the piece, as the X-Men/Terrigen sickness problem is apparent in early X-Men issues, and Beast is already shown working on a cure with the Inhumans in many early X-Men issues and others.

Captain Marvel 1-5 should go pretty early in the piece. It begins with Carol's first day as Commander of the newly commissioned Alpha Flight Space Station, and in all of her other appearances she's already Commander of AFSS.

A-Force 1-7 spins off immediately from Avengers 0, as during that issue Singularity appears as a photonic being, which coalesces into existence outside the station. A-Force 1 begins with Carol and Dr Bell examining the Quantum Singularity on their screens, and pondering why it has the appearance of a girl.

Black Knight 1-5 also seems to go pretty early in the piece, but after Ultimates 1-2

Nova 1-6 is set during school days, and seems to go after ANAD Avengers 1-3

Drax 1-11 seems to fit into the early period.

Squadron Supreme 1-5 seems to go pretty early, and the Unity Squad is in operation. That is probably the "other" Avengers team that's been operating throughout the entire period.

Black Widow 1-10 should go early in the piece. If it even fits into continuity at all. See my letters published in the series for my arguments about that. Seems to be winter.

This next lot all goes together, early in the piece, and helps place a bit of other stuff:

ASM 1/4 has Jess at 6 months pregnant. Carol is already Commander of AFSS. Jess takes out Walrus, White Rabbit and Goldbug.
ASM 1/3 has Silk taking down some Goblin hoods, and handing over a PI safety deposit box to Black Cat.
ASM 1/6 Spider-Miles takes out the Ox, and the police take him to the Cellar, the new prison complex built on Rykers Island by Empire Unlimited. The villains that Jess and took out earlier are also taken to the Cellar along with the Ox.
Silk 1 probably goes immediately after this, if it's not a retelling of ASM 1/3.. Silk wakes up in her new one-room flat, then goes after some Goblin Nation hoods who have stolen a case from Alchemax (in ASM1/3 it belongs to PI.. i think); she defeats them and siezes the case, but Mockingbird arrives & tells her to hand it over to SHIELD; Silk escapes from Mockingbird & hands the case over to Black Cat; later Silk reports to Mockingbird.
A couple of notes to go with this section.. Spider-Man 2099 1 (1-16) has Empire Unlimited left the sole group building the new prison complex on Rykers Island.

Spider-Woman should probably go as early in the piece as it can be placed. In issue 1 (1-15) Jess is 34 weeks pregnant, and hosts a maternity party, attended by nearly everyone. Need to check who's actually there, and how they're costumed. Issue 1 (16-20) is two weeks after the maternity party, and Jess heads to AFSS maternity ward. Spider-Woman 2-4 follow in rapid succession, and sees Jess's baby born.

That's all i have time for now.. will do more digging later.. Good job so far wolverine7230.