Human Torch and Dragon Man in A 41

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Human Torch and Dragon Man in A 41

Post by StrayLamb »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:22 pm @StrayLamb: If you are referring to my suggestion to add the FB-BTS line for Reed, I agree that it is not significant enough to necessarily appear in the listing even if an Official index mentions it.

Which brings the question, on what occasion would a FB-BTS tag be legitimate? I've seen it a on a few occasions in the listings, so there must be some reason behind it, though I cannot recall specifically where I've seen it.
The Stylebook has this to say regarding -BTS, and i believe b. is the relevant point:
Russ Chappell wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:40 pmBTS-The character does not appear on panel, but
a. has a direct impact on events; or
b. we are told on panel of the specific CURRENT wherabouts or actions of the character; or
c. is psychically controlling a character on panel; or
d. we KNOW the character is present, yet hidden from view (behind a door, in a vehicle or aircraft); or
e. another character on panel is acting under their direct orders. In this last case, only the first appearance of the on-panel character under orders warrants a BTS appearance, unless it is clear that the on-panel character CONTINUES to operate under direct orders in subsequent appearances.
My understanding is that for an -FB-BTS appearance, "we are told on panel of the specific CURRENT wherabouts or actions of the character" during the flashback. As you pointed out here,
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:25 pmReed's behind the scene mention refers to the fact that the authorities "recently" gave legal custody of Dragon Man to Hank Pym on Reeds Richards recommendation. So technically, it's also a flashback BTS. While the index says during FF #63, Reed had his hands pretty full during the whole issue. He's not only helping Triton recover from battle injuries, but he's also dealing with those who injured him, namely Blastaar and Sandman. He even mentions it in pg13p1: "We have a more urgent problem to cope with...!" Although there are a few places within this issue where Reed is off panel, I strongly doubt that it was in Reed's top priorities to call the authorities to recommend the transfer of Dragon Man to Pym. I most likely occurred when their crisis was over.
Reed's recommendation that Dragon Man be handed over to Hank Pym occurred "recently," which is non-specific, so the mention of this in A 41 shouldn't really constitute an -FB-BTS in his listing.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Human Torch and Dragon Man in A 41

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Thanks for the clarification, StrayLamb. I get the nuance now.