Marvels 0, Marvel Age 130-133

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Marvels 0, Marvel Age 130-133

Post by Leoparis »

The 12-page story in Marvels 0 is serialized in Marvel Age 130-133, 3 pages by installment.

Analysis:
HUMAN TORCH/JIM HAMMOND
M/AGE 130/2-FB heart, lungs
VIS2 1-FB
VIS2 2-FB
M/AGE 131/2-FB skeleton, flesh, ignites, presentation on stage
SAGAHT 1 (1)-FB opens his eyes
M/PROJECT 1-FB argument with Bradley (=INV2 3-FB)
{M/C 1 (1:1 - 1:6)} "Gentlemen of the press, I called you to my laboratory"
MARVELS 1 (3 - 5) ignites, "G-good lord! It-- moved--?"
SAGAHT 1 (3)-FB "G-good lord! It's moving!
M/C 1 (1:7 - 1:8) "destroy that man" "perhaps the power of the press will help change your mind"
SAGAHT 1 (4:5 - 4:6)-FB "present international crisis" (Bohemia-Moravia on March 15, 1939?)
M/PROJECT 1 ??? page 14
M/C 1 (2 - 3) Scientists' Guild, entombed in concrete
SAGAHT 1 (6)-FB entombed, non-agression pact, WWII starts
M/AGE 132-FB photographed, entombed, educated, sequence 3-1-2
M/AGE 133/2-FB released
M/C 1 (4:1 - 4:6) unseen, explosion, Horton
SAGAHT 1 (7:5 - 7:7)-FB Horton calling out HT
M/AGE 130/2
M/AGE 131/2-VO
M/AGE 132-VO
M/AGE 133/2
MARVELS 1 (7 - 9) running in street

The story retells in the first person the origin of the Human Torch, based on the version in Saga of the original Human Torch 1, Apr 1990 (it includes scenes Roy Thomas added to the origin).

The present time narrative voice has been placed just after the explosion that freed him from his concrete prison, when he's running in the streets. That placement--while he's running--for the narration does not work for a number of reasons:
It is highly reflective and does not fit his mental state nor his development,
It addresses some unseen audience, "I wanted to be with you. I wanted to be a part of your world."
It takes place after he's learned to control his flame, "I have since learned to control my condition."
It takes place after he became a hero, "and have come to mean something very different to this society in which I now belong";
It takes place years later, probably decades, "As I have learned since, I was not the first anomaly to exist, but on that day of my freedom in 1939 this world had its first confrontation with the fantastic. The Golden Age of miracles would begin, and in the years to come the world would know the presence of the unnatural and extraordinary as part of the fantastic."

Per the Marvels Deluxe edition, Ross started on it when he was twenty in 1990. So it must have been written soon after Saga of the original Human Torch 1. Maybe consider it as a recording to the Avengers after his 1990 revival in West Coast Avengers.

Since the narration cannot be in that early 1939 spot, it's all VO, except maybe for the first two pages. (Shouldn't SAGAHT be VO as well? The VO code makes it easier to understand this placement refers to the narration whereas BTS is used for a wider range of things.)

Suggested corrections:
HUMAN TORCH/JIM HAMMOND
SAGAHT 1 (7:5 - 7:7)-FB
*M/AGE 130/2 move from here
*M/AGE 131/2-VO move from here
*M/AGE 132-VO move from here
*M/AGE 133/2 move from here
MARVELS 1 (7 - 9)
*SAGAHT 1-BTS -> SAGAHT 1-VO
*SAGAHT 2-BTS -> SAGAHT 2-VO
*SAGAHT 2-BTS -> SAGAHT 3-VO
*SAGAHT 4-BTS -> SAGAHT 4-VO