Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Re: CONAN

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:51 pm
wolverine7230 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:02 pmAnd I have a good feeling the new stuff will be regarded as "canon", would definitely not be surprised to have some form of crossover.
My feeling is that the new Conan stuff will be as "canon" as the current Marvel Star Wars stuff is. It counts toward itself, if you get what I mean. I remember when Marvel announced they were getting the Star Wars license back everyone was wondering when the first crossover would happen. It's been, what, almost five years and nothing? I dunno, anything's possible,...
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/07 ... ad-home-6/

Well, that was quick, eh Fury? :-P

(The headline is mildly misleading - he joins the story, not necessarily the team, but the point stands)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Is that a lead-in to Conan the Avenger? :wink:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm honestly surprised. ooOO?! :lol:
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

So, have any of you guys picked up Conan the Barbarian #1 yet?
Anyone got any opinions on how this effects the canonicity (?) of the old Conan stuff?

I've got a few thoughts of my own, but would be interested in hearing what you guys think before I share.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I have it, but haven't read it yet. I do see a montage of art from early '70s Marvel Conan in the first few pages, and that it's Legacy numbered as #276, though.
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Col_Fury wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 pm I have it, but haven't read it yet. I do see a montage of art from early '70s Marvel Conan in the first few pages, and that it's Legacy numbered as #276, though.
Yeah, I was thinking those things allude to it being canon, and what little we've seen of the 2019 Conan's life seems to fit in with his existing chronology pretty well...

I'm still working on my chronology of the old Conan stuff, but the scenes of young Conan in the City of Thieves fits in pretty well with his early adventures in Zamora (probably before CtB #4), and the later scene when he's King should fit in with existing chronology fine, as he was king for a couple decades with comparatively not many currently existing stories in that either.

That being said, as the arc is called "The Life and Death of Conan", if we do see Conan die during his reign as King, then it can't be the same Conan. But I don't think that's gonna happen as is alluded at the end of #1... especially when it's a 12 issue arc.

Really excited for Savage Sword and the Belit mini!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Have we seen the death of classic Marvel Conan? I haven't fully read them (but I have flipped through them), but he doesn't die in Conan of the Isles, or in Conan the Savage #10 (which is a sequel to Isles, right?), which are his "last" appearances of the classic stuff (right?). As far as I know, showing his death now wouldn't be a canon-buster. Would it?
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

I believe Marvel's last published Conan story was The Necromancers of Na'at in Conan the Savage 10 (1996), which follows on from Conan of the Isles, after his abdication. He didn't die in that. Wolvie may be thinking of the Kull story in Savage Sword 124 (1986), where Kull comes across an inscription marking the death of a mighty warrior king that seems to allude to Conan, but he's not named, and is said to have died while being king.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Ah, it's the "dies while king" that might be a problem. I didn't realize he stopped being king in Isles.
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Also, wasn't Kull around some thousands of years before Conan, and before the Great Cataclysm.? Conan is from the Hyborean Age, some 8000 years after the time of Kull, and after the Great Cataclysm. So any warrior king who predated Kull would also predate Conan.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 pm Ah, it's the "dies while king" that might be a problem. I didn't realize he stopped being king in Isles.
This is what I meant, he can't have both died on the throne and then subsequently abdicated.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

So is it possible that

A) the inscription refers to someone other than Conan?

or

B) Conan abdicated, then regained the throne (or gained a different one), and then died on the throne?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

StrayLamb wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm I believe Marvel's last published Conan story was The Necromancers of Na'at in Conan the Savage 10 (1996), which follows on from Conan of the Isles, after his abdication. He didn't die in that. Wolvie may be thinking of the Kull story in Savage Sword 124 (1986), where Kull comes across an inscription marking the death of a mighty warrior king that seems to allude to Conan, but he's not named, and is said to have died while being king.
Well, now, wait. Yes, this is my memory too. The inscription CAN'T* refer to Conan, can it?

*Calm down, everyone. Not shouting. Just emphasizing.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Russ Chappell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 am *Calm down, everyone. Not shouting. Just emphasizing.
Yep, i'm never gonna live that down.. :wink:
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I see Jason Aaron has said that the first story will look at Conan's life from Cimmeria to Aquilonia and beyond. That "and beyond" bit at the end might mean he'll die after he stops being king of Aquilonia.

We'll find out in a year or so! :)
-Daron Jensen