Hidden gems of Marvel?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Hidden gems of Marvel?

Post by Clive_Reston »

What are some of your favorite Marvel comics that aren't particularly famous (and maybe aren't even on Unlimited yet)?

(I'll start: the 1997-1998 Man-Thing series drawn by Liam Sharp is incredibly gorgeous.)
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hidden gems of Marvel?

Post by Russ Chappell »

New Mutants Special Edition - criminally underrecognized.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The art's probably not for everyone, but I've always had a soft spot for the HAVOK & WOLVERINE: MELTDOWN mini.

And it probably doesn't count, but the Kirby returns era of CAPTAIN AMERICA. The Madbomb destroys MINDS instead of property!
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

I quite enjoyed a number of the four issue limited series that came out in the early to mid eighties, like Wolverine, Hawkeye, Vision & the Scarlet Witch, West Coast Avengers, Magik, Beauty & the Beast, Rocket Raccoon, Falcon, Gargoyle, and Nightcrawler. They told a nice succinct story, while focusing on characters that didn't always get the spotlight at the time..
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

I recently reread and enjoyed that first Hawkeye miniseries--I'm a sucker for any time Mark Gruenwald drew a story, just because he was so manifestly a writer-not-an-artist who sometimes had to draw stuff to get across what was in his head! (See also: that "What If?" sequel to the earlier "Pawns of Korvac" story, which at least gave him a chance to not draw backgrounds.) Anyway, my favorite part of it is the third issue, with its chase scene in the NYC subway system--lovingly and very accurately rendered, except for *one* panel where Oddball is running up an escalator in the Times Square #7 train stop that I know very well is a down escalator, having taken it thousands of times...
lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by lettsmonster »

I have always considered FF 303 one of the best Thing stories, squarely in my top 3, though probably little regarded by most. Still tugs at the old heart strings.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

My favorite Thing story is in Marvel Fanfare 15 by Barry Windsor Smith, where Johnny plays an April Fools joke on Ben. I love the scene where Ben wakes up, smashes his alarm clock, then opens the cupboard to get a new one - the cupboard being full of alarm clocks. Also enjoyed the Rocky Grimm Space Ranger story which ran thru his own title after MSH Secret Wars (the original)..
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Fantastic Four #352 is one of my favorite FF stories. Mr. Fantastic vs. Doctor Doom in a battle thru time! Heck, the whole Simonson FF run is pretty neat-o.

Also, I just read the recent Rocket series (guest starring the Technet!) which I thought was pretty great. :)
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

I've just finished reading Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Annual 1 (1974) (or Kung Fu Special 1), "The Master Plan of Fu Manchu," a story told in three chapters plus a framing sequence, each done by a different writer/artist team, which results in a surprisingly cohesive story, featuring Iron Fist, the Sons of the Tiger, and Shang-Chi, all of whom deal with a different part of Fu Manchu's plot, while never actually encountering each other. Beautiful art throughout, as a bonus. Highly recommended..!