Spider-Man and the New Mutants #1

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Spider-Man and the New Mutants #1

Post by vanhornluke »

Spider-Man and the New Mutants #1 (1990)

1st Story:
By Walter Simonson

APPEARANCES:
Spider-Man, Lockleer, gangs, Billy Maslin, Junior, Mary Maslin, Wilson Maslin, Billy’s principal (bts)

SYNOPSIS:
Web-swinging through New York, Spidey sees two gangs about to fight and breaks it up before it can get going. Then he hears kids on a playground cheering Billy for punching Junior. Spidey intervenes and learns that Billy is himself a victim of physical abuse, since his teacher, Mrs. Pettigrew, has been hitting him whenever she gets mad. Spidey takes Billy home and talks with his parents about the abuse. They decide to call the school principal and arrange a meeting to discuss Mrs. Pettigrew’s behavior.

NOTE:
Spidey thinks to himself that he needs to take pics soon that he can “sell to Jameson and the Daily Bugle,” but I didn’t see anything else to indicate when this story must take place (and that’s not much of a clue). Hopefully someone here can suggest a placement for this story in Spidey’s chronology.

2nd Story:
By Louise Simonson

APPEARANCES:
Skids (also in flashback), Aaron, Jimmy, Sara, their mom, Bill Blevins (in flashback)

SYNOPSIS:
FLASHBACK:
Skids’s dad starts to beat on her, but she instinctively uses her mutant power for the first time to prevent him from hitting her.
PRESENT:
Skids is grocery shopping for the team when she sees a mom and her three kids down the aisle. The kids start roughhousing and end up knocking over a cereal display. The mom is angry and is about to hit the oldest when Skids intervenes, using her power to block the mom’s hand from slapping her daughter. She offers to help the kids restack the cereal while the mom finishes her shopping. While the mom is away, Skids tells Sara and Jimmy that people, including kids, shouldn’t be hit. When the mom is done, Skids tells her about a parenting class she can take to help her avoid hitting her children.

NOTE:
I didn’t notice anything to suggest when this story should be placed in Skids’s chronology, so I would welcome suggestions. Also, it appears that a prior appearance in X-Factor #16 for Bill Blevins appears to have been missed at MCP. It should be added, but I’m not sure if it should be listed before or after his appearance here.

Chronologies:

AARON
SMNEWM 1/2

BLEVINS, BILL
SMNEWM 1/2-FB

JIMMY
SMNEWM 1/2

JUNIOR
SMNEWM 1

LOCKLEER
SMNEWM 1

MASLIN, BILLY
SMNEWM 1

MASLIN, MARY
SMNEWM 1

MASLIN, WILSON
SMNEWM 1

SARA
SMNEWM 1/2

SKIDS/SALLY BLEVINS
See note above

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER
See note above
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Spider-Man and the New Mutants #1

Post by metaldragon »

I did an analysis way back here: http://www.chronologyproject.com/phpbb2 ... ilit=Skids

Going by where it could fit for Skids (between NM 76 and XF 41), for Spider-Man this would probably happen circa Web of Spider-Man 49.
Last edited by metaldragon on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"May the Light shine forever!"
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Spider-Man and the New Mutants #1

Post by ShadZ »

The cover of this comic may be seen here: https://www.comics.org/issue/47258/cover/4/
ShadZ