Conan the Barbarian v2 #1-3

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Conan the Barbarian v2 #1-3

Post by Col_Fury »

CONAN THE BARBARIAN v2 #1 (July 1997)
By Roland Green & Claudio Castellini

APPEARANCES:
Conan, Blerun (Kyof’s Grove chief), Vessila (Kyof’s Grove seer), Kyof’s Grove soldiers (inc Dreldan), a Captain & his caravan, bandits, Basilio Rez (bts)

SYNOPSIS:
In northern Bossonia, Conan overhears a caravan being attacked, by the time he arrives they’re all dead (the Captain killed by a living tree, the rest by bandits). Conan is then attacked by archers; he fights but spares them. Their leader arrives (Blerun) and Conan befriends him. As they return to Blerun’s village they’re attacked by more bandits. Conan helps fight them off. Meanwhile, the living tree nears the village.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN v2 #2 (August 1997)

APPEARANCES:
Conan, Blerun, Vessila, Basilio Rez (sorcerer, “Stalker of the Woods”), Kyof’s Grove soldiers (inc Dreldan) & residents, bandits

SYNOPSIS:
Conan ambushes some bandits, kills most and saves one for questioning. Meanwhile, he’s spied on by living trees; a sorcerer (who controls the trees) watches from afar. Conan accompanies Blerun and other soldiers in attacking more bandits, who are helped by some living trees. Conan and the others win, but more trees approach Kyof’s Grove…

CONAN THE BARBARIAN v2 #3 (September 1997)

APPEARANCES:
Conan, Blerun, Vessila, Basilio Rez, Kyof’s Grove soldiers (inc Dreldan), Spirits of the Trees

SYNOPSIS:
Kyof’s Grove is attacked by living trees. Conan and friends take the fight to Basilio Rez and eventually defeat him. Dreldan and Vassila hook up. Kyof’s Grove is safe. Conan wanders off.

NOTE:
Conan mentions he has experience fighting sorcerers and magic, so this should be at least after his first encounter with a magician. According to Roy’s chronology, Conan encountered an enchanted sword in COB 31-FB and developed a distaste for magic, but I don’t think there are any sorcerers in that story (I haven’t read it yet). He definitely runs into a wizard in COB 4, 5 & 11, though.

Conan does not have his horned helmet here, making me think this happens after he stops wearing it in COB 6. He does have his three disc necklace thing here (which he loses in COB 23).

So in theory, we’re looking at somewhere between COB 12-23. Again, according to Roy’s chronology, Conan is in “northern Zamora” in COB 13. Here, Conan’s in “northern Bossonia.” They both seem to be north, so likely near each other? If so, then this may happen shortly-ish before COB 13.

Those are all the clues I can spot. If anyone sees something I don’t feel free to offer a better placement!

As far as I can tell, none of the characters seen in this mini appear elsewhere (aside from Conan, of course).

Chronologies!

CONAN
……
COB 12
*[SAVSCO 77]
*COB2 1
*COB2 2
*COB2 3
*[COB 13]
COSAV 2/2
……
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Conan the Barbarian v2 #1-3

Post by Somebody »

Unless I'm misreading it, the Sir Muddy list puts this (as CTBMS#1-3 - RGN,CCI) between Savage Sword #116 ("Lords of the Falcon") and #114 (""The Riddle of the Demuzaar") in section 06:
06 THE SEA OF NO RETURN

01 The Endless River of Blood (SSC#188 - SPT,DCM)
Borderline of Aquilonia

02 Quest for the Shrine of Luma (SSC#113 - LY,EC)
"Drifting south in search of warmer climes and to escape the jealous hordes of Khaliem-Nokmad, Conan, in his third decade, reaches lower Aquilonia..."
Near Poitain, along the Aquilonian Steppes...

03 THE SEA OF NO RETURN (SSC#66 - DC,ROY,ECO,EC)
(Adapted from a story by Danette Couto)
"During a lull in the wars among the constantly battling hyborian kingdoms, Conan, now in his early twenties (**** this story seems to be first placed after conan's first visit to Cimmeria), returns to his native Cimmeria, but his love of adventure draws him south, toward the seacoast kingdom of Argos..."

04 The Wizard Fiend of Zingara (SSC#61 - MF,JB)
"Penniless after his long trek north through the black kingdoms following the death of the female pirate Bêlit, Conan re-enters mercenary service in the western nations..." - one of the first stories to be put between "Hawks over Shem" and "Black Colossus"...

05 The Siren (SSC#101 - JB,MF,RN)
During a lull in the wars among the Hyborian kingdoms, Conan returns for a short time to his native Cimmeria. But the love of adventure again draws him south, through Aquilonia (SSC#188,113,66) and Zingara (SSC#61 and maybe ssc#94,185) and finally to the seacoast kingdom of Argos... (SSC#136...)

06 Seventh Isle of Doom (SSC#136 - LY,AK)
"On the high seas a thousand leagues west of Messantia (Argos),a bloody battle rages, a battle over control of trade routes to the Black Kingdoms..."

07 The Fear of Crom (SSC#108 - DK,MD)

08 The Boon (SSC#116 - DK,SB,RRI)

09 The Colossus of Argos (SSC#80 - MF,AA)
"During a lull in the wars among the Hyborian kingdoms, Conan returns for a short time to his native Cimmeria, but the love of adventure soon draws him south again, to the prosperous seafaring kingdom of Argos..."

10 Barbarian Death Song (CTB#171 - MF,JB,AG)

11 Lords of the Falcon (SSC#116 - LY,EC)
"Heading west to take a welcome respite from the great nemedian battles, Conan is summoned to Tranicos by the baron of a small province in Western Pictlands..."

12 The Stalker of the Woods (CTBMS#1-3 - RGN,CCI)
The Highlands of nothern bossonia.
Just after dawn, on a bright day in late spring."
Blerun (Chief of the Village of Kyof's groove)
Vessila (Granddaughter of Blerun, The village seer)
Dreldan (On of Blerun warriors, Vessila's lover)
Basilio Rez (Wizard, Stalker of the Woods)
Lug (Young dweller of Kyof's groove)
Pharineus (Past aquilonian king)
Ehib (Deity evoked by Basilio Rez)
Kuman (")
Shemgu (")
Urishkanan (", Lord of Command)

13 The Riddle of the Demuzaar (SSC#114 - LY,RN)
"Leaving the summer seafaring port cities along the coast, Conan journeys inland and tries his hand at mercenary endeavours through uncharted wilderness expanses..."

07 DEATH HUNT

01 Reavers in the Borderland (CTB#172 - JCO,JB,BC)
(I've stripped the other character lists)
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Bossonia is a country located in the East of Hyboria, between Aquilonia and the Pictish Wilderness. This is a LONG way from Zamora.

IIRC, the use of clothing is inconsistent between artists and isn't really great for tracking chronology.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Admittedly, most of my placement suggestion was based on Conan's wardrobe. Looking through a bunch of cover scans, I see Conan's three disc necklace thing is on at least the cover of COB 172, so I guess that's an on-again/off-again thing for him. And this would probably work later in his chronology anyway; he's using several types of weapons (swords, axes, daggers, etc.) and has a good head for strategy. Also, it could just be an artistic interpretation, but Conan is BIG here, and so is probably older.

So yes, later in his chronology works for me. Also, putting it near SAVSCO 116 for geography reasons (the Pictlands) sounds good to me. I see on the interwebs that Bossonia is between Aquilonia and the Pictlands (as wolverine says).

Having said that, I'm seeing some differences between this list and Roy's. As we get further into Conan's life it's going to take some effort to convince me to deviate from Roy's chronology. I'm open to it, but we're going to have to talk about it. I'm much more willing to take Roy's word about this stuff on faith.

So for now:

CONAN
……
COSAV 4/2
[COB 100]
*[SAVSCO 116] (in Pictlands)
*COB2 1 (near Pictlands)
*COB2 2
*COB2 3
*[COB 275] (Roy has this before SAVSCO 218-221)
SAVSCO 219
SAVSCO 220
**[COB 275/2] (delete) (there is no second story here)
SJNS-FB
TCORPS 3
[SAVSCO 128]
COV.RUNE
[COSAV 4]

Thanks Somebody and wolverine7230! :thumbsup:
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

I do think it's going to take some time to build up a Conan chronology that works.

I've been quite busy the last couple of days, but I should have the issue analysis for COA up on Saturday.