I'm getting caught up, but what'd I miss?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm getting caught up, but what'd I miss?

Post by Col_Fury »

I fell behind on my reading, and am only caught up universe-wide as of the Fear Itself crossover.

Some things I'm more or less current on, like the main Avengers books (pretty good), Daredevil (awesome) and Spider-Man (really good).

Some things I'm only kind of behind on, like the X-Men books (well, depending on which books you're talking about) and cosmic books.

Some things I'm fairly behind on, like Iron Man, Hulk, Deadpool and random miscellaneous stuff.

Other things I'm WAY behind on, like Thor. I'm in the middle of reading the Fear Itself Journey into Mystery issues at the moment, for example (and it's pretty good!).

Avengers Arena/Undercover turned out to be WAY better than I expected. Also, Young Avengers (v2?, the Keiron Gillen one) was FANTASTIC.

One thing I'm perplexed about is, when did X-23 get so chatty? She's a character that barely speaks because she's so un-socialized. And yet in All-New X-Men, she's speaking like a normal teenage girl, using colloquialisms and talking about her feelings (even though she was raised to be an assassin and her solo ongoing book dealt pretty heavily on her not being in touch with her emotions).

Was there a story that I haven't read yet that deals with her becoming more socialized?

I'm not exactly reading everything according to publication order across the board; I'm reading families of books at a time. I'm sure I'll pop in with more as I make progress.
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: I'm getting caught up, but what'd I miss?

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:Other things I'm WAY behind on, like Thor. I'm in the middle of reading the Fear Itself Journey into Mystery issues at the moment, for example (and it's pretty good!).
"And then he hit the Whilce Portacio issues, and we never heard from him again." ;)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Portacio showed up earlier than I expected!

I liked Portacio's stuff back in the '90s on X-Factor and his style has gotten a lot looser over the years, but you know who keeps getting better? Alan Davis. That guy could illustrate instructions on installing a toilet and it would be gorgeous.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Now I'm getting caught up on Thor! :)

So Galactus gets a new herald in Mighty Thor #1-6, and Silver Surfer is "stuck" on Earth again (I was farther behind than I thought; this is all pre-Fear Itself). I've read more recent Galactus stories (like FF 600 and when he tried to eat the Ultimate Universe) but hadn't even heard of this new herald until a few minutes ago. Has this guy been seen since?
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Speaking of Alan Davis, he showed up in Thor #18-21! :mrgreen:

So YEAH, Silver Surfer did some stuff on Earth in these Thor issues, but no mention of that new herald for Galactus. Also, I'm finding next to nothing about the guy online. What the hell was the point of THAT? And um, when did Silver Surfer get freed from Earth after this? He makes appearances in space later…

Reading Dark Avengers #175-190 now!
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Why did I wait so long to read Dark Avengers? It was fun!

Kind of bopping around, now. Just read Winter Soldier: the Bitter March (before reading his ongoing series, but whatever). Moving on to the Captain America team-up book, and who knows after that?
-Daron Jensen
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Yeah, the Kieron Gillen runs on Journey Into Mystery and Young Avengers are fantastic--the former has a great, great payoff at the end.

Surprisingly delightful: "Original Sins," the anthology that was a tie-in to Original Sin.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I LOVED Gillen's Young Avengers. :) Actually, I'm really digging all of Gillen's stuff. Looking forward to his Iron Man run!

I'm getting closer to all the Original Sin stuff, thanks for the heads up on Original Sins!
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Just read Winter Soldier 1-19; WHY DO THEY KEEP KILLING MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS?

Now I'm sad. Sif's Journey into Mystery looks fun…
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I have to admit being a little confused while reading JiM 646; I didn't really know what Sif was doing or why (it felt like the comic was missing some pages), but things became clearer in later issues. Overall, though, I liked 'em! AND, Beta Ray Bill was there! :mrgreen:

Ah, what next? Iron Man v6? Thor: God of Thunder? Indestructible Hulk? Fearless Defenders? Thunderbolts v3? Something else? Who knows?
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Making progress!

One good thing about falling behind is not having to deal with shipping delays. I hadn't realized just how irregular Hawkeye was coming out, but it didn't matter to ME; I read them all in one sitting! :D Except for the last issue, of course (it's still not out yet). Good stuff, though! Poor Grills, but yay, Pizza Dog!

I had no idea Red She-Hulk had the ancient SHIELD in it. Nice surprise! Also, I tend to like Jeff Parker's stuff, so why did I wait so long to read this?

Indestructible Hulk turned out to be better than expected. I knew it was going to be good, but wow! Also, we got some Walt Simonson Thor in there!

Starting Iron Man v6 now, and I see that Death's Head (the REAL one!) is in #6. YAY! :mrgreen:
-Daron Jensen