Avengers: Celestial Quest #3

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Avengers: Celestial Quest #3

Post by Somebody »

AVENGERS: CELESTIAL QUEST #3
Writers: Stainless Steve Englehart
Art: Jose Santamaría

Cast:
(all last in A:CQ 2, next in A:CQ 4 unless otherwise noted)

Avengers:
VISION II/"VICTOR SHADE" [SYNTHESOID]
MANTIS/? BRANDT [HUMAN/PLANT HYBRID]
SCARLET WITCH/WANDA MAXIMOFF [MUTANT]
SILVERCLAW/LA GARRA ARGENTADO/MARIA DE GUADALUPE SANTIAGO [HUMAN/AZTEC GOD HYBRID]
THOR/"DR. DONALD BLAKE"/"SIGURD JARLSON II"/"JAKE OLSON"/"LOREN OLSON" [ASGARDIAN]
HAYWIRE/

Space Pirates:
REPTYL
SYN (referred to in dialogue as "KID SYN")
RAPTRA

Cotati:
SWORDSMAN II/COTATI (last listed for A 395 - although I think that may be a Space Phantom - next in A:CQ 5, currently unlisted for whole series...)
QUOI/SEQUOIA (listed for A:CQ 2, but I can't see him there outside a -FB)

Other:
MENTOR/ALARS [ETERNAL] (last listed in TB 47)
THANOS? (currently listed as BTS for all other issues, no Thanos, clone or otherwise, is actively listed for A:CQ)
DEATH

Summary:
The morning after the night before for Vision & Mantis, he leaves fully-dressed for a chat with the Scarlet Witch while she stays in bed. Silverclaw eavedrops on the conversation, while "Space Pirates" attack the ship. They head out and thrash them.

The retreating pirates are then waylaid by Thanos.

Hours later, "they make planetfall on Tamal, the homeworld of the Cotati". There, the Cotati Swordsman greets them, and we get flashbacks to the Cotati's origin (mostly repeated from A 134, no identifiable characters)O, before "Q"/Quoi/Sequoia/Mantis' kid shows up as a petulant teenager who storms off before long.

On Titan, Mentor automatically assumes Quoi's star will draw Thanos "and so [he] must act".

The pirates, elsewhere, are boarded by Thanos. Once most of the crew are dead, Reptyl agrees to serve Thanos in return for a power-up, which Thanos gives him by killing "Kid Syn". Raptra doesn't agree, and sneaks off.

Back on Tamal, Vision makes an idiot of himself by interrupting Mantis & the Cotati Swordsman, and Death looks on.

Notes:
Thanos was ambiguously retconned by Jim Starlin into a clone in Thanos: Infinity Abyss. I presume that's stuck since the MCP lists him only as BTS for this series (although, the idea that a clone fools Death has always bugged me). There's no listing for the Thanos of this series in the MCP.

The Cotati Swordsman is treated as if the Crossing never happened. I don't have Avengers Forever to hand to check, but I suspect he was retconned into a Space Phantom there, which - if anyone can verify that - should move A 392 & A 395 out of his listing. [EDIT: Checked, and he was. See Swordsman II/Cotati topic in MU] In addition, he appears in A:CQ 5, which he's not listed for.

Quoi is listed for A:CQ 2. I can't see him at all there, except for a couple of FBs which I suspect are repeats from Englehart's Silver Surfer issues.

Listings:
Avengers:
HAYWIRE/ [HUMAN]
[...]
A:CQ 2
*A:CQ 3
A:CQ 4
[...]

MANTIS/? BRANDT [HUMAN/PLANT HYBRID] (add species)
[...]
[...]

SCARLET WITCH/WANDA MAXIMOFF [MUTANT] (add species)
[...]
[...]

SILVERCLAW/LA GARRA ARGENTADO/MARIA DE GUADALUPE SANTIAGO [HUMAN/AZTEC GOD HYBRID] (add species)
[...]
[...]

THOR/"DR. DONALD BLAKE"/"SIGURD JARLSON II"/"JAKE OLSON"/"LOREN OLSON" [ASGARDIAN]
[...]
[...]

VISION II/"VICTOR SHADE" [SYNTHESOID] (add alias, species)
[...]
[...]

REPTYL
[...]
[...]

SYN/KID SYN
[...]
[end of listing]

RAPTRA
[...]
[...]

Cotati:
SWORDSMAN II/COTATI [COTATI]
A 130
A 131
A 132
A 133
A 134
A 135
GSA 4
WCA2 39-FB
SS3 4-FB
**A 392? (move to SWORDSMAN IV/"COTATI" [SPACE PHANTOM]?)
**A 395? (move to SWORDSMAN IV/"COTATI" [SPACE PHANTOM]?)
*A:CQ 5

QUOI/SEQUOIA (listed for A:CQ 2, but I can't see him there outside a -FB)
[...]
**A:CQ 2 (remove?)
[...]

Other:
MENTOR/ALARS [ETERNAL]
[...]
TB 47
[...]