An oddly named ASM “mini” from the early ’90s

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

An oddly named ASM “mini” from the early ’90s

Post by Col_Fury »

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: SKATING ON THIN ICE #1 (February 1993)
By Dwayne McDuffie & Alex Saviuk

APPEARANCES:
Spider-Man, Electro, Chameleon, J. Jonah Jameson, bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
After fighting Electro (& his mysterious ally, actually the Chameleon), Spider-Man decides to investigate a story in Canada. Eventually, Spider-Man uncovers a drug smuggling operation using fake hockey pucks.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: DOUBLE TROUBLE #2 (February 1993)
By Dwayne McDuffie & Herb Trimpe

APPEARANCES:
Spider-Man, Chameleon, bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
Still in Canada, Spider-Man deals with more drug dealing problems, but this he gets the Chameleon, who it turns out was Electro’s boss last issue.

NOTE:
Narration says last issue was “a couple of days ago.”

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: HIT AND RUN #3 (February 1993)
By Dwayne McDuffie & Jim Craig

APPEARANCES:
Spider-Man, Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch), bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
Still in Canada, Spider-Man and Ghost Rider deal with drunk driving.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: CHAOS IN CALGARY #4 (February 1993)
By Scott Lobdell & Jim Craig

APPEARANCES:
Spider-Man, Texas Twister, Shooting Star, Phantom Rider (& his horse Banshee), Wizard, Trapster, Dreadknight (& Hellhorse), Man-Bull, Turbine (Joline Cargill) & her dad (Dr. Cargill), bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
Still in Canada, Spider-Man fights the Frightful Four when they attack a rodeo. Also, wheel-chair bound teen Joline Cargill becomes the superhero Turbine. She has some kind of transforming flying bike.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: DEAD BALL #5 (February 1993)
By Adam Blaustein & Jim Craig

APPEARANCES:
Spider-Man, Green Goblin (Harry), Mary Jane, Normie Osborn, the Montreal Expos

SYNOPSIS:
Still in Canada, Spider-Man returns to his hotel room to find Mary Jane waiting for him. She has Normie with her, because Liz needed a break from all the crap she’s been going through with Harry lately. They turn off the lights and have some fun (with Normie asleep on the couch). The next day, the trio go meet the Montreal Expos and watch a game. Meanwhile in Manhattan, Harry is out shopping (for the new “Guido Brothers” game cartridge) and sees Peter with Normie on TV. He flips out and flies to Montreal on his Goblin Glider and attacks the Expos. Peter changes into Spider-Man and fights the Green Goblin with the help of the team (and the all-kids road safety team that also appeared last issue). The Green Goblin escapes and the ball game resumes.

NOTE:
A bit of trivia: The Montreal Expos don’t exist anymore, they’re now the Washington Nationals. Also, they’ve never made it past the playoffs to make it into the World Series under either name.

The first four issues were released in both Canada and America, but the fifth issue was only released in Canada. This fifth issue has some pretty obvious re-lettering. I wonder if the Expos requested that Mary Jane swoon over the handsome Larry Walker?

An editor’s note in #5 says this takes place before Spectacular Spider-Man #200. Published the same month as ASM 374, SSM 197, WOSM 97, SM 31 & GR3 34. Given’s Harry chronology, though, it has to take place before that. He doses himself with the Goblin formula in SSM 188, is sent to the Vault in SSM 189, is still there in SSM 189 & ASM 369/2, and everyone is SHOCKED to see that he’s been released in SSM 199, which continues into his "death" in SSM 200. So, between SSM 188-189. I don’t see any real problem with Spider-Man going to Canada for a week or so between SSM 188-189, so that’s where it goes.

Placement suggestions:

BANSHEE III
……
M/CP 102/4
*ASM:CALGARY 4
*A:I 2

CARGILL, DR.
ASM:CALGARY 4

CHAMELEON II/DMITRI SMERDYAKOV
……
ASM 343
*ASM:SICE 1
*ASM:DT 2
ASM 363-BTS | cf ASM 388
……

DREADKNIGHT/BRAM VELSING
……
BK2 2
AUP 4
……

ELECTRO II/MAX DILLON
……
SM 23
M/HOL 1992/3
……

GHOST RIDER XXXV/DANIEL KETCH
……
M/CE /4
*ASM:HIT&RUN 3
GR3 25
……

HELLHORSE/ELENDIL
……
BK2 2
AUP 4
……

JAMESON, JOHN JONAH JR.
……
SSM 187
**CA 402 (move from here)
ASM 362
ASM 363
MORB:LV 2
DHAWK 19
*CA 402 (move to here)
ASM 364
……

KALE, NOBLE
……
M/CE /4
GR3 25
……

MAN-BULL/BULL TAURUS
……
IH2 341
CA 411
……

NIGHT RIDER V/HAMILTON SLADE II
……
M/CP 102/4
A:I 2
……

OSBORN, HARRY
……
SSM 188
*ASM:DBALL 5
SSM 189
……

OSBORN, NORMIE
……
SSM 184
SSM 189
……

SHOOTING STAR/VICTORIA STAR
……
M/CP 45/4
TB 57
……

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER
……
SSM 188
*ASM:DT 2
SSM 189
……

TEXAS TWISTER/DREW DANIELS
……
SOLOA 18
TB 57
……

TRAPSTER/PETER PETRUSKI
……
M/CP 97/4
AF 121
……

TURBINE/JOLINE CARGILL
ASM:CALGARY 4

WATSON-PARKER, MARY JANE
……
SSM 188
SSM 189
……

WIZARD/BENTLEY WITTMAN
……
M/CP 88/4
NW 36
……
-Daron Jensen
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Re: An oddly named ASM “mini” from the early ’90s

Post by vanhornluke »

Sweet! I'm glad to see some of these promotional books being covered. A number of others have been confirmed to be 616 by the handbooks. Do you plan to cover more of them?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm reorganizing my collection and stumbled across these in the unfiled pile. :lol:

I'm also updating my search list as I prepare for convention season. As I come across more I'm sure I'll take a look at them. :)
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

It occurred to me that since #5 was only released in Canada, many people may not be able to get their hands on it (and, I'm not finding much information abut this one one the interwebs). I edited in a more detailed synopsis for that issue above. Enjoy!
-Daron Jensen