Daredevil: Dark Nights #1-3

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS #1 (August 2013)
By Lee Weeks

APPEARANCES:
Daredevil (also in fbs), a family (in fbs), Hannah Larue (in fb), muggers (in fb), hospital staff (inc Paco & Kate, in fb), bystanders (in fb)

FLASHBACKS:
A family gets into a car accident (a week ago). An unconscious Matt Murdock (identified as a John Doe), with amnesia, is brought to the hospital in the middle of a snowstorm (today). Matt leaves the office in a snowstorm. Meanwhile, the family decides to donate their son’s organs. Matt and is mugged; he’s hit in the head with a baseball bat and knocked unconscious. People pass him by thinking he’s a drunk, but a homeless man takes him to the hospital (earlier today). The hospital staff try to break into “John Doe’s” briefcase to find out who he is. Meanwhile, the crowded waiting room turns into a hostage situation when muggers steal a cop’s gun. Matt wakes up and knocks out the muggers. Matt asks about a girl waiting for an organ transplant upstairs, and that he heard the helicopter bringing the organ crashed. Just then they open his briefcase and realize he’s Daredevil. They tell him where the helicopter crashed and Daredevil goes into the city to find it and the organ. He jumps off the roof, but his head injury makes him crash into the street.
SYNOPSIS:
Daredevil wakes up and keeps moving.

NOTE:
Here’s how the pages fit chronologically:

(2)-FB family
(7 - 12)-FB-FB DD & family
(3 - 6)-FB DD
(13 - 21:1)-FB DD
(1) DD
(21:2 - 22) DD

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS #2 (September 2013)
By Lee Weeks

APPEARANCES:
Daredevil, Ben Urich, Jonny Cruz, Victor Lanza (bts) & his men (Brock named), Hannah LaRue & her parents (Simon & Maria), hospital staff (Paco, Kate, Dr. Field, Kwame O’Neal, Chandler Costello & Jerry named), mercenaries (inc Talbot & Goodwin), bystanders (inc Leila; Ronnie named)

SYNOPSIS:
Daredevil makes his way across town (ignoring Jonny Cruz being tortured by loan sharks). Meanwhile, Hannah’s dad (rich businessman) tries to hire a new helicopter to go after the crashed one, but no one will go out in the storm. Daredevil finds the heart and continues on, but takes a break to stop a rape. Then, he collapses from exposure. Hannah’s dad hires a group of mercenaries to find the heart.

NOTE:
When Daredevil gets his memory back, he recalls Karen Page was killed by Bullseye (we don’t see it; it’s in the narration).

Mayor Jameson is mentioned, but he doesn’t appear, and is not -BTS. Ben Urich is seen at the Daily Bugle, though.

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS #3 (October 2013)
By Lee Weeks

APPEARANCES:
Daredevil, Foggy Nelson (in fb), Nick Fury, Kingpin (vo), Hannah LaRue, Maria LaRue, Simon LaRue, Jonathon Cruz, hospital staff (inc Paco, Kate & Dr. Field), mercenaries (Talbot & Goodwin named), police (Rita named), FBI, homeland security, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, bystanders (inc Ronnie; Leila & Doris)

FLASHBACK:
Foggy tries to call Matt (there are other flashbacks to Daredevil’s past, but nothing new).
SYNOPSIS:
Daredevil wakes up to learn that Jonny Cruz has taken the heart to the hospital. Daredevil follows to discover that Jonny’s been abducted by mercenaries. Daredevil beats them up and takes the heart (and Jonny) to the hospital. Meanwhile, Kingpin learns his mercenaries failed (Hannah’s dad got the mercenaries through Kingpin). The surgery is successful and Daredevil is pleased.

NOTE:
Nick Fury is in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D. here, so this takes place quite some time in the past. I guess that mention of Mayor Jameson was a typo.

So. Nick Fury is in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D., Matt Murdock is a lawyer partnered with Foggy Nelson, and Kingpin is the crime boss in New York City. Fury quit after the current day parts of SECWAR, which is between DD2 75-76. Kingpin was overthrown in DD2 30 (in a story started in DD2 26). That one’s earlier, so sometime before DD2 26.

Paul B.’s calendar has DD2 26 in May and DD2 25 in November, and this story happens in the winter. So, sometime between DD2 25-26.

Side note: This anthology mini was published at the same time as DD3 27-35. Of the three stories (#1-3, 4-5 & 6-8) none of them take place when published; all are at some point in the relative past. This one, at a point when Fury was still in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D, #4-5 at a point when Matt and Kirtsen were together, Parker was Spider-Man, Thor was around and Iron Man was still in his red & gold armor (so between DD3 16-17) and #6-8 at a point before Matt and Kirtsen were together, but after Matt was a lawyer again (so between DD3 6-7).

Placement suggestions:

DAREDEVIL/MATT MICHAEL MURDOCK/"JACK BATLIN"
……
DD2 25
*DD:DN 1-FB-FB
*DD:DN 1-FB
*DD:DN 1
*DD:DN 2
*DD:DN 3
DD:YELLOW 1
……

FURY, COL. NICHOLAS "NICK" JOSEPH
……
CA4 1-FB
W2 163
……

KINGPIN/WILSON FISK
……
DD2 21
ASM2 36
*DD:DN 3-VO
DD2 29 (5 - 8)-FB
……

NELSON, FRANKLIN P. "FOGGY"
……
DD2 25
*DD:DN 3-FB
DD:YELLOW 1-BTS
……

URICH, BEN
……
ASM2 24
W2 162-BTS
SM/DD 1
DD2 27
……
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Daredevil: Dark Nights #1-3

Post by Russ Chappell »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:16 am
DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS #2 (September 2013)
By Lee Weeks

NOTE:
Mayor Jameson is mentioned, but he doesn’t appear, and is not -BTS. Ben Urich is seen at the Daily Bugle, though.

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS #3 (October 2013)
By Lee Weeks

NOTE:
Nick Fury is in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D. here, so this takes place quite some time in the past. I guess that mention of Mayor Jameson was a typo.
Let's talk about this for a moment...

I don't get a "Fury is in charge of SHIELD" vibe here. Yes, he has access to SHIELD tech, but we've already seen that in CA6 1-5, or dealing with SHIELD agents in DP4 50. Not sure I see the need to move this drastically out of publication order, which as you mention, requires disqualifying the Mayor Jameson comment.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Good point. Fury being in a helicarrier is what threw me off, but he was using stuff like that in SECWARR.

How about here in the current listings:

DAREDEVIL/MATT MICHAEL MURDOCK/"JACK BATLIN"
……
NA2 34
*DD:DN 1-FB-FB
*DD:DN 1-FB
*DD:DN 1
PWZ3 3-BTS
PWZ3 4-BTS

FURY, COL. NICHOLAS "NICK" JOSEPH
……
M/HOL 2011/3

KINGPIN/WILSON FISK
……
CA6 16
*DD:DN 3-VO

NELSON, FRANKLIN P. "FOGGY"
……
DD3 16
*DD:DN 3-FB

URICH, BEN
……
FI:SM 1

And in the AVX to INFINITY chronology:

……
INDH 3-5
Venom v2 27.1
SCARSPI2 12
AARENA 1-12 (Christmas)
ASTONX3 57-58 (Christmas)
YA2 7-13 (while arena kids are missing) (Kate returns)
……

?
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I can live with that.

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Those issues were discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7616&p=41179&hilit= ... hts#p41095

This included editorial intention that the stories took place during Mark Waid's run, the oddity that medics don't recognize Murdock whose identity was public knowledge since Bendis's run, the Kingpin in the wrong building.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

As I understand it, you're contending that we move this story wildly out of publication order because:

a) we don't see Kingpin associating with ninjas. (Maybe we don't see ninjas because the story isn't about them.)

b) because the medics don't recognize a lawyer.

Sorry, but I just don't find those two reasons compelling enough to move the story.

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Matt Murdock's identity as Daredevil has been public knowledge since Bendis' run. It remains so to the end of Waid's run. That's why it's odd that none of the medics and hospital staff & patients recognize a face that was all over TV news and front pages, not the "face of a lawyer" but the face of an outed famous superhero. When the hospital staff discover John Doe is Daredevil, Paco gets rid of the video recordings to protect his identity, Kate lies when describing his appearance and they keep calling him John Doe between themselves. They clearly don't know that DD is Matt Murdock and DD's identity is clearly a secret.

I would have thought the publication order is hardly paramount since we're talking about a limited series of unconnected story arcs by different writers. Marvel continuously publishes limited series where stories take place "wildly out of publication order," always have and always will. And I think that's great. Those are the stories I like to chronologize, they often present interesting challenges.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

There's too much hyperbole in your response.
a face that was all over TV news and front pages
What amounts to "all over"? How many tv stations led their newscasts with it? How many newspapers featured it on their front pages? Maybe only those people who read the Bugle, or watch TMZ, have heard the story. And no matter how many media outlets cover it, that's not evidence that hospital staff saw it, or should have seen it.
Leoparis wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:41 am I would have thought the publication order is hardly paramount since we're talking about a limited series of unconnected story arcs by different writers.
More hyperbole. No one said it was paramount. I have no problem moving a story from an anthology series out of publication order, but you're asking us to move a story based on lack of evidence, not evidence.

In addition, I believe you were the one who pointed out that Editorial Intent was for the stories to take place during the Mark Waid run.

You can certainly have a different interpretation, but I don't feel moved to make the change. Sorry.

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

And don't forget the "Mayor Jameson" bit in #2.
-Daron Jensen