Bloodscream bio

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Bloodscream bio

Post by wolframbane »

I have found references online that Bloodscream's real name is Zachariah Ravenscraft and that he served under Francis Drake from 1577 till 1580. Would anyone happen to know if and where this info may be annotated within a comic or handbook? Thanks!!
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Bloodscream bio

Post by loki »

The origin is given in Wolverine (2nd series/1st ongoing series) #78. The name is fanwank. Unfortunately Wiki sites help this stuff promulgate, and I've even caught posters on one site openly discussing whether to make up info for their site in the hopes it would spread across the internet until a Marvel writer unwittingly used it in a comic and made it "canon;" their consensus was that this was a good idea. So beware info on Wiki sites that doesn't have citations to check for accuracy.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

loki wrote:Unfortunately Wiki sites help this stuff promulgate, and I've even caught posters on one site openly discussing whether to make up info for their site in the hopes it would spread across the internet until a Marvel writer unwittingly used it in a comic and made it "canon;" their consensus was that this was a good idea.
It HAS happened, and not just at Marvel - I recall an issue of Firestorm that referenced a story as written up by several websites, which was different in several major ways from the story which had actually seen print.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Somebody wrote:
loki wrote:Unfortunately Wiki sites help this stuff promulgate, and I've even caught posters on one site openly discussing whether to make up info for their site in the hopes it would spread across the internet until a Marvel writer unwittingly used it in a comic and made it "canon;" their consensus was that this was a good idea.
It HAS happened, and not just at Marvel - I recall an issue of Firestorm that referenced a story as written up by several websites, which was different in several major ways from the story which had actually seen print.
I have to admit, this is one reason I've come to actively dislike the Wiki sites. They have their uses, but it grates when I see people say "why buy Handbooks/Who's Who/in-house reference guides, when I can get the same info for free on Wikipedia?" The answer is that those guides, even though they contain the odd mistake, aren't at prey to being made incorrect by the woefully ill-informed or deliberately malicious. And those that say "well, bad info on Wiki quickly gets spotted and removed" clearly haven't paid attention to Wiki sites; I've found bad info plenty of time, and when I used the Wiki history to find who put it there and when it was added, usually find it was a "respected" and long-term poster (meaning everything else they've posted is suspect) and has been up there for a couple of years.