what are your Marvel firsts?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

what are your Marvel firsts?

Post by Col_Fury »

Russ got me thinking about Marvel firsts so I figured, "Hey, I should start a topic about that." 8-)

I learned how to read from Spider-Man comics (for the most part. I mean, I went to school, obviously, but Spider-Man helped), but I couldn't tell you which comics. Were they Spidey Super Stories? Amazing Spider-Man? Spectacular? I dunno. But anyway, by the time I was paying attention to characters and stuff I was already aware of who Spider-Man was. I couldn't tell you what my first impression of Spider-Man was, is the point. :lol:

The first comic I can specifically remember holding in my hands is Return of the Jedi #4. The first comic I bought with my own money was Amazing Spider-Man #282. I remember being confused by Spider-Man's costume (he was in the black suit at the time), and coming to the conclusion that he must have been in the shadows for the entire issue (and to be helpful, I figured, they put a big white spider on his chest to let you know this is Spider-Man). I figured out later it was just a different costume. :) I picked up a few issues here and there, and started collecting regularly with #307.

These were pre-internet days, so to sample other books or characters my friends and I would get together and read each others' collections. I was exposed to all kinds of stuff out of order; I remember reading the Dark Phoenix Saga in Classic X-Men at the same time as the Inferno crossover. Actually, my first exposure to the X-Men was Dark Phoenix & Inferno simultaneously.

My first exposure to Thor and the first time Nick Fury registered with me was Thor #337. After this issue, Nick Fury was the character that tied the Marvel Universe together for me, because he kept popping up in other books. The first issue of Captain America I bought was #383 (I had read other Cap stories already by this point), which had a retelling of Sgt. Fury #13 in it, which only reinforced in my mind that Nick Fury was the lynchpin of the Marvel Universe.

That's off the top of my head (I'm sure I'll come up with/remember more), but I want to know what YOUR Marvel firsts are! :)
-Daron Jensen
MarvelBoy2002
Henchman
Henchman

Re: what are your Marvel firsts?

Post by MarvelBoy2002 »

My first Marvel book (actually it is Eaglemoss publication) was Spider-Man: Heroes and Villains #1 magazine. In Russia, kid-oriented magazines based on Marvel properties were very popular among children in late 2000s/early 2010s. Thanks to them I've became Marvel fan. As a kid, I've really liked Spider-Man.
zilch
Hero
Hero

Post by zilch »

Marvel Tales #13.

Coverless in the back seat of the '67 Dodge Dart (Dad hated that car. Engine too small. Paid too much for it, ect.) i can remember reading the Spidey story and the square spine with Marvel Tales on it.

We were picking up a large stand up chrome Art Deco style fan (Mom and Dad's house never had air conditioning or window units, we used fans) and i shared it with a sibling while the youngest sat on Mom's lap in the front seat. I had been reading for three years already, and they were constantly looking for stuff i would like. They tried Casper and his ilk, but i didn't like 'em (and i read the TV Guide every week), so they started picking up super-hero comics occasionally, and we probably promptly ripped off the cover in a fight for it. I guess they figured that the 25 center would last longer with more stories to read.

I started getting the collector bug with the start of the Kree-Skrull War, so yah been doing this for a LOOOOONG time!

-z
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

My first comics were the mini-comics packed with He-Man action figures. I distinctly recall my first Marvel comic, though. In 1987, I was six years old. My sister, 9 months old, was in the hospital for open heart surgery (she was born with a serious heart defect, but she was too little for surgery until she was 9 months). My parents were, obviously, quite tense during the hours-long procedure. Being only six years old, I understandably got bored and antsy after a couple hours. To keep me occupied, and to take his mind off the surgery and his worry, my dad walked me from the hospital to a corner gas station on the same block as the hospital. There he bought a copy of Avengers #283 and read it to me. He had been a big Marvel fan back in the 60s when he was a kid, so he was able to explain to me who Cap, Thor, Namor, etc., were, even though he didn't know some of the more recent characters. I was utterly captivated, and I've been a Marvel fan ever since.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

The earliest comic that I can remember was Little Monsters #1. My first superhero comic was Justice League of America #41. Shortly after, my first Marvel would have been X-Men #16.

Sorry that I don't have any stories to tell about the first time I read them.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Neat! Keep 'em coming, people! :)

I know people that were first introduced to Marvel through the '90s X-Men cartoon and found their way to the comics (mostly guys), and I know other people who were introduced through the movies and found their way to the comics (mostly gals). I know one guy who came to the comics from the Hulk TV show. There has to be people who came in from Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends or the '60s cartoons. There HAS to be...
-Daron Jensen
MarvelBoy2002
Henchman
Henchman

Post by MarvelBoy2002 »

I was introduced to Marvel through 1994 Spider-Man animated series. I didn't even suspected that it was based on comics.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

I was 6 years old when I got my first introductions to the Marvel Comics.

First was in November 1982 when I got Hulk 1982-11 reprinting Incredible Hulk (vol. 2) #263 and #264. (September and October 1981).
http://img.tradera.net/images/171/25648 ... b90b57.jpg

Second was in May 1983 when I got Spindelmannen 1983-5 reprinting Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #56 and #57. (July and August 1981).
http://img.tradera.net/images/280/25924 ... 5a2bea.jpg

I don't remember when I got introduced to the rest, only that I was 10 when I got introduced to the X-Men. It was the Brood-War Saga issues with the first meeting and fight between the X-Men and the New Mutants.
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Pretty sure the first Marvel comic I bought (off a newsstand) was Uncanny X-Men #138. Boy, did I spend a lot of that month poring over the massive amounts of text in that issue.

My next-door neighbor had a bunch of Frank Miller Daredevils and some Moon Knights around that time, I recall.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

The first comic that i read and wanted to keep was Marvel's Captain Marvel #20, June 1970, which ended with a cliff-hanger of Hulk about to land on Rick Jones. I hung out for issue 21, and then the title was cancelled for a couple of years. Growing up in Australia in the 70's, it wasn't always easy to find Marvel comics, and the DC's were non-existent. All we could get were black and white Federal comics reprints, mostly of 1950's DC's. We did get a few Charlton's, Archie's and Gold Key's.

In the late 70's, and early 80's a number of us, who had met at various op shops and garage sales, formed a loosely knit comics club in Perth, meeting at members homes to discuss what we were reading, and to trade. I know that at least four of us are still collecting, one has a comic shop somewhere in Queensland, and two of us are still close friends.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.