Wizard / Marvel comics

The ongoing effort to juggle all the books that need to be entered into the Project

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wizard / Marvel comics

Post by Col_Fury »

Back in the free-wheeling late ’90s and early 2000s, Wizard put out a bunch of comic specials usually but not always numbered “#½” for Marvel (and a number of publishers). After a bit of poking around I’ve put together this list:

Avengers #0
Blade #½
Captain Marvel #0
Daredevil #½
Deadpool #0
Earth X #½
Fantastic Four #½
Gambit #½
Generation X #½
Ghost Rider #½
Heroes Reborn #½
Hulk #½
Iron Man #½
New Warriors #0
Prime #½
Silver Surfer #½
Silver Surfer/Witchblade #½
Slingers #0
Spider-Girl #½
Spider-Man #½
Spider-Man Unlimited #½
Thunderbolts #0
Ultimate Spider-Man #½
Ultimate X-Men #½
Weapon X #½
Wild Thing #0
Wolverine #½
X-51 #0
X-Men #½

As far as I can tell, most of these are already in the MCP, but these are not:

Deadpool #0
Fantastic Four #½
Gambit #½ (partial?)
Silver Surfer #½
Silver Surfer/Witchblade #½ (maybe?)
Spider-Man #½
Spider-Man Unlimited #½ (the cartoon)

What is Silver Surfer/Witchblade #½? Is it a preview of that Devil’s Reign crossover, a part of it, a sketchbook thing, or what? Is this the Silver Surfer/Witchblade comic that’s already in the MCP, or something different?

I see a Gambit #½ is listed in the MCP, but only for one character, and that character is -BTS. It looks like this one didn’t get fully added into the MCP, but to be fair, I haven’t actually flipped through the comic yet.

None of Spider-Man Unlimited (volume 2, the cartoon one) is in the MCP, so this is no surprise.

Am I missing anything? Yeah, there was an X-Men one that previewed the first few pages of Grant Morrison’s New X-Men run, a reprint of Alex Ross’ first published Marvel work from Open Space, some sketchbook stuff for Paradise X, etc., but I’m just looking at original content here.

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Wizard / Marvel comics

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:What is Silver Surfer/Witchblade #½? Is it a preview of that Devil’s Reign crossover, a part of it, a sketchbook thing, or what? Is this the Silver Surfer/Witchblade comic that’s already in the MCP, or something different?
Devil's Reign prelude: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/silver-s ... 00-120369/, https://www.comics.org/issue/300759/#478303
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I did an analyses of the Devil's Reign Cross-Over here that includes the Wizard 1/2 issue,

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6957&p=38647&hilit= ... ign#p38647
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I haven't dug out the comics yet, but it looks like the Silver Surfer / Witchblade comic that's already in the MCP is this Wizard thing (there are no other ones that have the Silver Surfer / Witchblade match-up). It's a prelude to the crossover AND it's already in the MCP.

So, it looks like these are not currently in the MCP:

Deadpool #0
Fantastic Four #½
Silver Surfer #½
Spider-Man #½

and maybe a partial on Gambit #½.

Right?
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Well, Deadpool 0 looks like one of those mild nightmares to do, since it's full of clones of (then-believed) dead guys that would presumably all need to be ID'd.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I see what happened with Gambit #½. Most of the appearances are listed under GAM3 0.5, but one other listing has GAM 0.5 instead.

Aside from that, it looks complete to me!
-Daron Jensen
lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by lettsmonster »

It looks like Generation X #½ has only been partially analyzed.

Husk, Jubilee and Skin all appear in the story set in Los Angeles. Emma Frost probably rates a BTS appearance as it states that she brought the three students to LA on her business trip.

Also, there are two separate FB sequences, when the MCP currently only lists one. There should be a FB for Skin and Tores both directly before and after the GENX 34-FB, as Generation X #½ deals with events before and after the events in GENX 34-FB.

I am currently still collecting 1998 Marvels so I can't suggest a placement for these missing appearances. Thought you would like to know though.

Thanks!